Year 2: 2

Year 2
The Chamber of Secrets

The children were finally on the Hogwarts Express and Y/N was gossiping to Pansy about the audacity of Ron Weasley back in Flourish and Blotts.

On one side of their cabin sat Y/N, Draco and Goyle, and opposite them was Pansy, Blaise and Crabbe.

Even though Y/N was only talking to Pansy, everyone else seemed to be listening in, with Draco interrupting to add to the story every few sentences.

The children had an array of sweets to share on their journey whilst they exchanged stories about how they had spent their summers.

Once they arrived at the school, they all picked up their hand luggage, Y/N placed Midnight in her carrier and Draco grabbed his broom from the overhead space. Pansy watched him curiously before asking, "what's with the new broom, Draco?"

Y/N turned to her and responded, "Didn't he tell you? Malfoy's playing on the quidditch team this year."

Pansy scrunched her eyebrows, "but he hasn't even tried out."

Draco scoffed, "I don't need to try out, Parkinson. You see, some of us are naturally gifted at these things."

Pansy didn't question him any further and followed the rest of the group to the Great Hall, waiting for the first year students to get sorted.

As they sat in the Great Hall, Draco was blatantly staring at the Gryffindor table; Y/N rolled her eyes before chuckling and kicking his  leg, "Looking for your boyfriend, Malfoy?"

He scoffed, "Oh, get over yourself, Skywynne. Potter's not my boyfriend, stupid."

Y/N grinned before singing, "I never mentioned Potter's name!"

Draco kicked her leg under the table and hissed, "shut up, Skywynne. You're not funny."

Y/N raised her eyebrows and shrugged, before turning to face the front as the first year students were sorted into their houses, joining the rest of Slytherin in cheering every time the sorting hat called out their house name.

As they left the Great Hall and found their way to their dormitories, Pansy asked Draco, "when do you start quidditch practice, Draco?"

"Really soon, Flint said he'll be speaking to Snape to get them permission to train me- not that I need it, obviously."

"I hope you'll let me watch you practice one day, I bet you'd be amazing!"

Y/N who was right behind them scoffed, "oh, please, Malfoy's average at best."

Draco screwed up his face and turned to her, glaring, "oh, yeah? You weren't saying that all those times I saved your butt."

Y/N rolled her eyes and sighed, linking arms with Blaise and pulling him ahead of the pair before calling back, "I never said I was a good flyer, Malfoy, but you give yourself too much credit!" she then turned to Blaise and joked, "Come on, Zabini! Let's give those two lovebirds some privacy!"

Pansy's face flushed before she yelled, "Shut up, Y/N! Why would you say that!?"

Draco rolled his eyes, and slightly raised his voice, looking directly at Y/N, "because she's stupid, that's why."

Y/N stuck her tongue out at him before pulling Blaise ahead with her, arriving at the common room a while before Draco and Pansy.

She eyed the table by the fire place, on top of it was a wizard's chess board; she smirked before gesturing to it, "Zabini, how about a game?"

He flicked his eyebrows up as he looked over at it before asking, "You can play?"

She folded her arms, "um, yeah, of course I can. Come on."

He shrugged before sitting opposite her and beginning a game.

"So, Y/N, what was that about back there? With Pansy and Draco?"

"Pawn to D3," she paused before looking up at him, "I suppose that I've gotten the impression that Pansy has quite the crush on Malfoy, and he clearly laps up her fawning over him. You might say I'm teasing, but I think I'm just giving them a little push in the right direction."

Blaise raised an eyebrow, "pawn to E8. But don't you have a crush on Draco, Y/N?"

Y/N almost choked on thin air, "excuse me!? Obviously not! Malfoy is my best friend. Don't be daft, Zabini. Knight to D6."

Blaise shrugged, "pawn to E5. Well, okay then. Anyway, what classes are you excited for this year?"

She rolled her eyes as he moved his pawn directly where he could take her knight before chuckling, "pawn to E8." Amused, she watched as her knight shattered the pawn he had previously moved. "I've heard rumours that the Gilderoy Lockhart might be teaching us defence against the dark arts this year... so if those rumours are true then definitely his class! How about you?"

"Pawn to E6. Potions. And I don't see why everyone is so obsessed with Lockhart, he isn't anything special."

It was at this time that Draco and Pansy came through the common room door, stopping to join Y/N and Blaise.

The two of them continued to play as Y/N teased, "you took so long I thought Crabbe and Goyle would be finished stuffing their faces before you two arrived!"

Draco folded his arms and slumped back onto his chair, "whatever."

As Y/N and Blaise's game came to an end, Crabbe and Goyle came through the door just in time as Y/N smirked, "checkmate."