Year 1: 12

Year 1
The Philosopher's Stone

Stories of what Harry Potter and his friends had done were rumouring around the school, and although Draco would roll his eyes at the idea of Potter getting that much attention, he listened attentively every time he heard Harry's name uttered.

Y/N looked over at Draco as they sat in the Great Hall, awaiting the announcement that they had most definitely won the house cup, but Draco was looking over at the Gryffindor table.

She huffed before nudging him, "you need to stop obsessing over Potter, it's weird."

He screwed up his face and looked over at her, "Obsessing!? I don't obsess over Potter!"

She slightly shoved him away from her as she mocked, "really? You've been staring at him so long, you're drooling."

He was taken back and angrily stood up yelling, "No, I am not! Shut up, Skywynne."

She rose from her seat and folded her arms, "Or what?"

"Or-or my father will hear about this!"

"Then what? What is your father going to do, Malfoy?"

Draco looked absolutely lost for words. His father and Y/N's father were equals, they both had the same amount of authority and they both worked for the ministry of magic.

He sat down mumbling something to himself as Y/N followed, looking smug as ever.

Muttering among the students in the hall stopped as Dumbledore clinked his glass, "Another year has gone, and now as I understand it, the house cup needs awarding and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor with three-hundred-and-twelve points."

Sighs and groans could be heard from Gryffindor table, Draco smirked at Y/N after he had watched Harry Potter and his friends frown dejectedly.

"In 3rd place Hufflepuff with three-hundred-and-fifty-two points. In 2nd place, Ravenclaw with four-hundred-and-twenty-six points."

Excited muttering grew louder on the Slytherin table, right before Dumbledore announced:

"And in first place with four-hundred-and-seventy-two points, Slytherin house."

Everyone on Slytherin table jumped up from their seats and erupted in cheer as green banners appeared all across the haul.

Draco caught Ron's eye and mockingly smirked at him, to which Ron just rolled his eyes and looked away.

Y/N grinned at Draco yelling, "we won! Yes! I can't wait to tell-"

But Dumbledore interrupted, "yes, yes, well done Slytherin, well done Slytherin, however, recent events must be taken into account and I have a few last minute points to award."

Pansy and Y/N exchanged confused glances between them and Draco whispered to the group, "what's he talking about?"

Y/N shrugged and the entirety of Slytherin quietened down.

"To Miss Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect when others were in great peril- fifty points."

Draco scoffed.

"Second, to Mr Ronald Weasley, for the best played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years- fifty points."

Pansy looked over at Draco and whispered, "he can't be serious right now!"

"And third, to Mr Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage. I award Gryffindor house sixty points."

Slytherin whispered amongst themselves:

"Gryffindor tied with us!"

"This is so unfair!"

"He's only doing it because Harry Potter is in their house."

Y/N leaned over so the whole group could hear, "well, at least it's a tie. It's not like they had us beat or anything."

Then Dumbledore continued, "And finally, it takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends, I award ten points, to Neville Longbottom."

Y/N's smug look was wiped from her face and Blaise muttered, "so much for a tie..."

"Assuming that my calculations are correct, I believe a change in decoration is in order."

And at those words, the green banners disappeared and were replaced with red and gold banners for Gryffindor house.

Everybody cheered, but the Slytherin table stayed silent, a mixture of disappointment and anger amongst the students.

Once they were on the Hogwarts Express, Y/N, Draco, Pansy, Blaise, Crabbe and Goyle all sat with their arms folded, in rather foul moods.

Y/N broke the silence between them and groaned, "I don't see why he didn't just award them their stupid points before he announced us the winners, that was so embarrassing!"

Pansy nodded, "exactly! Now we just look stupid."

When they arrived at platform 9 3/4, Y/N's parents were waiting for her. She bid farewell to Pansy and Blaise, waved goodbye to Crabbe and Goyle before pausing as she stood before Draco.

"Have a wonderful summer, Malfoy."

Their feet shuffled awkwardly as he responded.

"Yeah, okay. You, too."

After a few moments of silence, Y/N pulled Draco in for a hug, taking him by surprise. He stood stiff for a moment, before the tiniest smile appeared on his face as he squeezed her back.

As they walked away from each other, Draco yelled after her, "Oi, Skywynne!"

She turned around and yelled, "what do you want?"

He was grinning as he replied, "write to me over summer, okay?"

She chuckled and waved, "okay! Bye, Malfoy!"

"Bye!"

And that was the end of their first year, but the beginning of so much more.