Year 1: 4

Year 1
The Philosopher's Stone

When they had their first flying lesson, Y/N was rather nervous; although she did excel at most things, flying was something she hadn't picked up very well.

"Good afternoon, class."

"Good afternoon, Madam Hooch."

"Welcome to your first flying lesson. Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone step up to the left side of their broomstick. Come now, hurry up! Stick your right hand over the broom and say up."

Y/N nervously stuck her hand out,

"Up!"

But it didn't move.

"Up!"

"Up!"

Malfoy sniggered as he looked over at her, with his broom already in his hand,

"Struggling, Skywynne?"

"No, I'm doing fine, Malfoy."

She turned back to her broom,

"Up!"

"Come on, up!"

Draco was crying with laughter as Y/N struggled to get her broom up.

"Up!"

As it finally flew into her hand, she sarcastically smiled at Draco who had only just stopped laughing at her.

Madam Hooch then continued,

"Now, once you've got hold of your broom, I want you to mount it and grip it tight, you don't want to be sliding off. When I blow my whistle, I want each of you to kick off from the ground, hard. Keep your brooms steady, hover for a moment then lean forward slightly and touch back down. On my whistle, three... two..."

Toot.

Y/N gulped, she wasn't ready for this. Draco chuckled again and mocked,

"Nervous, Skywynne?"

"Of course not."

Neville Longbottom then began to hover a lot higher than Madam Hooch had instructed.

"Mr Longbottom."

"M-M-Mr Longbottom!"

He then shot forwards and high into the air, everyone was yelling and chattering as Madam Hooch called out,

"Come back down, this instant!"

His broom soared through the air sending him spinning, crashing into the walls and almost straight into the students.

Eventually, he fell, landing on his wrist with a crunch. As Madam Hooch helped him up she announced,

"Everyone's to keep their feet firmly on the ground, whilst I take Mr Longbottom to the hospital wing. Understand? If I see a single broom in the air, the one riding it will find themselves out of Hogwarts before they can say "quidditch!""

After she had left, Draco smirked as he tossed around a rememball,

"Did you see his face? Maybe if the fat lump had given this a squeeze, he'd have remembered to fall on his fat ass."

Y/N giggled with a few other students before Harry Potter stepped forwards and demanded,

"Give it here, Malfoy!"

Y/N stepped in front of him and cockily replied,

"Why should he? It isn't exactly yours, is it, Potter?"

He furrowed his eyebrows at Y/N and held out his hand to Draco,

"It's not Malfoy's either. Hand it over."

Draco smirked and replied,

"No. I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find. How about on the roof?"

Draco then mounted his broom and shot up into the air,

"What's the matter, Potter? Bit beyond your reach?"

Y/N sniggered but Harry began to mount his broom, Hermione Granger stepped in front of him and protested,

"Harry, no way. You heard what Madam Hooch said. Besides, you don't even know how to fly!"

But Harry ignored her and shot into the air, chasing after Draco.

Hermione then sighed,

"What an idiot..."

Y/N turned to Pansy and admitted,

"Malfoy's actually pretty good on a broom."

They watched as Draco mocked Harry before dashing the rememball as far as he could and laughing smugly.

Harry quickly sped after it, he caught it right on time and was greeted by his cheering classmates as he landed, all except Y/N, Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle who were stood by Draco, less amused.

Harry's triumph was cut short by McGonagall shouting,

"HARRY POTTER! Follow me!"

The five sniggered amongst themselves as Harry followed Professor McGonagall away from the class.

As Harry turned to his classmates, Y/N caught his eye as she stuck out her bottom lip and waved goodbye to him mockingly.