44. The Stars Forgot

An endless stream of cars were locked at a standstill as the people of Atalka tried to leave. At the end of the traffic jam was a white tent that had been set up on the bridge. Each person exiting was being tested to see if they were Forbidden.

Almost every single agent had been diverted to Atalka. Infinite armed soldiers lined the perimeter of the gated community as announcements claimed that everything was being done for the resident's well-being.

The citizens of Atalka were dazed and confused. Those who hadn't witnessed the violence of the night before had heard about it. Everyone had a different story, none of them the full truth. The only concrete fact given to the residents was that they had to evacuate, and some people would be left behind for safety reasons.

The press had gotten a hold of a large story unfolding in what used to be a quiet part of Oregon, but they couldn't get within a mile of the scene.

Makaya Gladwell's body had been unceremoniously tossed into the water by a couple of agents. As her body slowly sank to the bottom of the river, her playful smile never faded. Even dead, Makaya Gladwell knew that she had finally won.

Jane-Anne Pearce

Jane-Anne didn't care who saw her. Her destiny was already decided, and her last free hours in the world wouldn't matter. By some strange miracle, she made it all the way back to her house. When the door opened, her father enveloped her in a tight hug. Jane-Anne didn't say anything. As cruel as it was, Jane-Anne wasn't here for her father.

She was here to see her mother.

Setsuka Pearce was wearing a black dress and a somber expression. She sported several painful bruises thanks to Makaya Gladwell, who kept her from the Night of Shining Stars. Jane-Anne felt sorry for her mother, but only for a second.

"What's wrong with you?" Jane-Anne demanded angrily.

Setsuka looked confused. "I don't know what you mean, Jane-Anne." she responded, tired. She turned to her husband and dismissed him with a small wave. Samuel Pearce didn't move. Instead, he crossed his arms and listened. Like everyone else, he needed answers.

"How could you let me do that? Why did you make Kiara and Taylor do that? Why would you-" Jane-Anne didn't have any more words, but her emotions continued to boil.

"What other choice did I have?" Setsuka asked.

"You could have told me!" Jane-Anne exclaimed. "That would have changed everything."

"You couldn't have handled it." said Setsuka simply.

"You don't know that, and you don't know me," said Jane-Anne defiantly.

"It would have reflected badly upon me if people knew that I let my own daughter die." Setsuka finally answered, not making eye contact with Jane-Anne. "Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"At least it's the truth," said Jane-Anne.

"Listen, everything is going to change, so it's best that we forgive each other while we have the chance," said Setsuka.

"Enjoy hell, Mom." Jane-Anne replied.

There was a harsh knock on the door. "Agency! Open up! We were tipped off about a hostile resident!"

The door flew off its hinges and crashed to the floor. Jane-Anne stared at the armored agents without any fear. She turned around and pulled back her dress, showcasing her Forbidden brand.

"It's me." Jane-Anne announced. Her eyes settled on her mother, completely resolved. She could feel the sharp sting of a tranquilizer dart before her world went black.