23. Dress Shopping

Lena Matthews

"Actually, I have to do something." I lied. "I'm sorry."

Finn frowned. "Lena, is something going on? You've been avoiding me ever since-"

"Nothing's going on!" I glanced around wildly, trying to figure out who was spying on me this time. At Atalka Academy, it was usually Mrs. Delaney, but every now and again, that duty got switched to Taylor, Carter, or Mr. Kawaguchi, the biology teacher who also happened to be a kappa. I should have known better than to trust someone who just packed cucumbers for lunch.

I needed to make sure that Finn didn't utter a word about the Forbidden when he was around me, which was easier said than done. I've avoided speaking to him altogether as a result. That was the safest option for him, but I hated every minute of it. "Just walk Aurelie home. I'll meet you guys at the house later."

"Okay." said Finn. I could hear his frustration, even though he was trying to hide it. He had no idea what was really going on.

As Finn walked away, I could see Taylor approach me from the corner of my eye. She had been hiding behind one of the several shelves of the library. "You know," said Taylor as she got closer, "we never said that you had to cut yourself off from your family like that."

"Mind your business." I snapped. "Aren't you supposed to be manipulating Jane-Anne or something?"

"You don't get to judge me," said Taylor. "You act like I have a choice in the matter."

"Don't you?" I asked. "You're magic, and you're immortal, so you should be able to do whatever you want."

"Do you know what I am?" Taylor asked.

"No clue, since apparently asking is rude." I answered. I was still bitter about that.

"It is," said Taylor. "You tell someone what legend you share similarities with, and you give them a gateway to your weaknesses."

"So, are you going to tell me what you are or not?" I asked. "Because the Forbidden around here don't seem to trust me, even though I saved you guys a couple days ago."

"What were you expecting, a thank you parade for doing the bare minimum?" Taylor asked.

"I didn't have to say anything when Jane-Anne came to me. I could have let her keep the secret and-"

"Keep the secret? Jane-Anne?" Taylor asked. "Are you crazy?"

"Whatever." I said. I tossed my bag over my shoulder, ready to get out of this conversation.

"Do you want to know what I am?" Taylor asked again.

"Okay. Tell me." I said, crossing my arms. Truthfully, I didn't want to know what Taylor specifically was. The less I knew, the easier it was to compartmentalize everything.

"You're gonna want to sit down for this one." Taylor warned.

"Why?" I asked.

"It might take a bit." Taylor explained.

"If it's a long story, then I don't want to hear it." I decided.

"I think you're gonna want to hear this." Taylor insisted.

"Fine." I sighed, pulling up a random chair and making myself comfortable.

"Okay," said Taylor, clearing her throat. "After my mother died, my father became obsessed with bringing her back. There were rumors of a creature that could grant wishes, and he decided to find him and wish for her to return to life. Despite all of the warnings against bringing someone back from the dead, he found the creature and made his wish. It was granted, but at a cost. One generation for another."