32. A Werewolf Hunt

Lena Matthews

"Where are you girls heading?" I had never spoken to the new security guard before, but I already felt bitter about her taking Makaya's place.

"Atalka Trail." Kiara answered before I could say anything. "We're looking for a werewolf. Court's orders."

The new security guard nodded casually and opened the gate, no additional questions asked.

"I never thought that would be something I'd actually say," said Kiara, whispering excitedly. "It feels silly, doesn't it?"

"Yeah, really silly." I replied flatly. I leaned back in my seat, ready to scream in frustration. "I still can't believe I have to do this."

"I'm sorry they don't trust you," said Kiara.

"The thing is, they really shouldn't." I admitted.

"Why not?" Kiara asked as she pulled the car forward. The sun had set, blanketing everything in darkness. I could feel an uneasiness settle in the pit of my stomach.

"You know, funny thing." I said, deflecting from my earlier comment, "Jacob came by today."

"Mm hm." said Kiara, unfazed by the news. "How was it?"

I crossed my arms sternly. "Is there something you're not telling me, Kiara? How did Jacob know my address?"

"I thought we were talking about how I'm not supposed to trust you." said Kiara, blocking me from interrogating her any further.

"We're here." I announced, spotting the parking lot in the distance. Desperate for some air, I leapt out of the car as soon as Kiara parked. It was freezing outside, but at least it wasn't suffocating. I quickly put on some gloves and grabbed one of the flashlights that Kiara had brought for us. "Are you ready?" I asked.

"Okay!" said Kiara, switching right back to her happy demeanor. She quickly grabbed a flashlight and shut the car door.

My phone buzzed with a notification from an unknown number. I frowned as I tried to open the text message.

I hope you don't mind that Aurelie gave me your number. I know that this is coming out of nowhere, but I wanted to ask you out. Are you free tomorrow? - Jacob

A normal person would scream their head off at this point, but that wasn't my instant reaction. I stared at my phone, uncertain if I was seeing it right.

"What?" Kiara asked, seeing my expression. She snatched my phone from me and gasped. "Oh, you are totally free tomorrow!"

"Give me that!" I demanded. "I don't even know him!"

"Isn't that the point of dating: getting to know the person?" Kiara asked, holding the phone just out of my reach.

"Kiara, what are you trying to do?" I asked.

"I'm trying to get you to have a little bit of fun." Kiara responded. "Look, this night is about to suck, so might as well balance it out." She smiled enthusiastically. "You know I'm right."

"Okay, you're right! Happy?" I asked. I could hear a distinct whoosh sound, telling me that Kiara had just sent Jacob a reply on my behalf.

"Yep. Very happy." Kiara confirmed, handing the phone back. "Before you blow up on me, remember that I'm going into the middle of the woods in the dark for you."

The venomous words that I had prepared in my head died instantly. I wasn't going to drive away the only help I could get. "I hope the wolf eats you." I still muttered under my breath half-heartedly.