36. The Forbidden Scam

Lena Matthews

As the car lurched over a pothole, I heard a distinct thump echo from the trunk of Kiara's car. "Are you okay?" I called, but I wasn't sure if anyone could hear me. As Kiara neared the gate, her knuckles tightly clutched the wheel.

"Be calm." Kiara instructed me, but I had a feeling she was just talking to herself. Underneath her hat, she was probably starting to sweat.

The car came to a halt next to a familiar security booth. Makaya's full-time replacement was smiling at us pleasantly, but I still refused to like her out of principle. I never even bothered to learn her name.

"Did you enjoy your breakfast?" she asked us.

"Yep." said Kiara quickly. "Now, we have a meeting to get ready for."

The woman frowned. "You're going?" she asked Kiara.

"Ivy's my friend. I want to support her." Kiara explained.

"Being here is a privilege for you. Do you really think you should attend a meeting on top of that?" the woman asked.

"Just let us through." I retorted.

"I'll see you at the meeting." said Kiara, smiling despite the woman's comment. The gate swung open, unveiling the way back to Atalka. I looked at Kiara and nodded. The car glided forward.

Kiara was still stiff when the vehicle stopped in Carter's driveway. She turned the engine off and popped the trunk open. Taylor and Carter were already outside, waiting behind the car. I quickly stumbled out and met Taylor and Carter by the trunk. It popped open, revealing Aaliyah and Jerome.

"I can't believe that worked." said Aaliyah breathlessly, accepting Taylor's hand as she crawled out of the trunk.

"Carter." I whispered. "Stop staring at him and help him out."

"Right." said Carter, breaking from his strange trance. He and Jerome were looking at each other like neither of them had ever seen a person before. He held his hand out. "I'm Carter."

"Jerome," said Jerome, taking Carter's hand. "Are you like Aaliyah?" He asked, staring at the Forbidden brand on Carter's neck. He hadn't bothered covering it today.

"Um, we're all Forbidden." I interjected. Jerome didn't turn to look at me. I felt like I was interrupting something.

"So are there types?" Jerome asked. Despite the fact that he was fully out of the trunk, he hadn't bothered dropping Carter's hand.

"Kind of. I'm a vampire." said Carter.

"Wait really? Do you sparkle?" Jerome asked. Carter dropped his hand instantly.

"One more person asks me that, and I'm out." Carter decided. He sped back to the house, leaving a gust of wind in his wake. I huffed as I pushed my hair out of my face. No matter how many times Carter did that, it would always catch me off guard.

"He doesn't like Twilight." I informed Jerome stupidly.

"I think I picked up on that." Jerome snapped.

"Okay." I said defensively. "So, what brings you here? We just needed Aaliyah."

"And I needed to be there for my best friend." Jerome replied. "Also, I've always wanted to see the other side of the gate." He stared at Carter's sprawling house. "You guys are extra."

"This is going to sound strange, but have we met before?" I asked randomly.

"Not really. I just saw you that one night, but that's all." said Jerome.