17. Going Nancy Drew

Lena Matthews

Something was wrong. The moment the car rolled to a stop before the gate, a twisted feeling in my stomach warned me that everything was off. The security booth was there, its light projecting into the darkness, but it was empty. Makaya was gone, and the gate was left open.

The moon was only a sliver tonight, but that was exactly what I wanted. I wasn't here for the werewolf, but the cold woman in white. I put the car in park and walked towards the booth. The light flickered inside, but I didn't let that bother me.

The door to the booth was unlocked, so I let myself inside. It was cramped, yet generally unassuming. I wasn't sure what I had expected to find here. The desk was littered with papers, and as I shifted through them, I noticed a crayon drawing. I pulled it out, recognizing it as Charlie's. It had been stapled to another paper, which was much more official looking. It was the autopsy report for Joshua Rodriguez.

Cause of death: hypothermia.

I frowned at the report, searching the booth for another clue. Next to an old radio, I found another envelope that someone had already opened. It had been addressed to Atalka Security, from Johnathan Eaton, Atalka Medical Examiner. According to his letter, the transaction had been completed and results of his most recent autopsy had been adjusted accordingly.

I did my best to leave everything the way I had found it before sprinting out of the security booth and into the car. I switched the gear to drive and accelerated as fast as I could.

I swerved into the parking lot of Atalka Trail, my hands slippery with sweat. I closed my eyes and tried to get everything out of my head. Makaya was a part of this. Of course she was. I made sure to leave my phone in the car before grabbing my flashlight. I didn't need Makaya tracking me if I couldn't trust her.

Earlier, I had tried to get some of the weapons that the Agency had supplied us, but it had been locked away in a safe. The only way to unlock it was with our Agency IDs, and being an associate, I wasn't qualified. I had tried to steal Dad's, but he guarded his way too well. I couldn't even get anything from Finn without raising his suspicions. I was going into this without any defenses, but I wasn't trying to kill anything tonight. I just needed evidence.

I still didn't know what Forbidden I was dealing with, but the Agency could probably figure it out when I sent them some evidence. Then it would be one down, four to go, and maybe a promotion for Lena Matthews. But that wasn't what this was about. It was about Rowan, and I guess Joshua too.

My car was the only one in the parking lot, assuring me that I would be alone. I pointed my flashlight in the direction of the woods, identifying the beginning of the trail. "This is fine." I muttered to myself as I began to make my way towards the entrance.

I could hear the sound of a river rushing nearby, reminding me that the gate wasn't too far away. When I finally crossed into the woods, the sound of the river didn't fade. "This is fine." I repeated, ignoring the strange anxiety the rushing water was causing me.

Each step I took was tinged with a bit of regret. I could have brought Finn with me, or better yet my Dad. Then, I would have had weapons. But bringing either of them defeated the purpose of proving that I could do this on my own.

A loud snap shook me out of my thoughts. My heart stopped as I turned my flashlight to the source of the sound. It turned out to be me breaking a twig. I shook my hands, trying to bring my heart rate back down to normal. My flashlight danced around the woods, mirroring my movements.

I could hear another sound, a distinct rustling. I turned the light in the direction of a small bush, and allowed myself to get closer. It was probably a small animal, but I had to know for sure. The rustling got louder, and I could see the bush move, but there was nothing there. Then, for a split moment, I thought I could see the shadow of something running away from the light.