Foxfire is a Mess for bad-tempered little Fitz

Foxfire was in a state of utter chaos. For example, Stina Heks had brought a baby unicorn to school and dropped it off at the Healing Center. Moral support for Keefe, who was still in a coma, she said. And of course, a couple Exillium students had dropped in to check on their past teachers. Quite literally.
They'd lowered themselves down from the ceiling, strung up by the ankle. They proceeded to remind their teachers of why they were "snooty, stuck-up little things" and well, yes, essentially. Magnate Leto smiled from his office. It wasn't every day that he had the opportunity to watch this sort of incident from the sidelines. The students didn't pose much of a threat, anyway. They were simply visiting their teachers.
Sitting in a corner of the office, Sophie and Fitz both looked marginally uncomfortable. They had initially been doing Cognate training, but this was far too exciting. Biana, Tam, Linh and Dex were having quite a bit of fun. Biana and Tam would sneak up on people with their light-shadow tricks and trigger additional screaming while Linh casually flooded the bathrooms, (A/N no she isn't moaning myrtle) making it close to impossible to run around. Dex was tweaking his set of smoke bombs to make the smoke thicker and to make them impossible to run through. He finished the job quickly enough, and they worked extremely well.
Meanwhile, Sophie was fidgeting and pulling on her eyelashes.
"Are you sure we shouldn't help out?"
"No," Magnate Leto replied, sounding pleased.
Seconds later, the bell rung.
"You can go home now if you wish, Miss Foster, Mr Vacker."
Sophie and Fitz nodded, and taking one last look at the school, which had temporarily but perfectly sealed exits, credits to Dex, left the glass pyramid.
"Havenfield, then?" Fitz asked.
"Sure. If you want."
Sandor grabbed her wrist to make sure she wasn't sneaking off anywhere. This time, she actually wasn't. Linking hands with her Cognate, Sophie held her home crystal up to the light and let it guide the two of them away.

Entering Sophie's bedroom, Fitz commented, "Well, that was certainly a fiasco."
"Yes. It hasn't quite happened before."
"Forkle's right in a way. It actually was kind of fun watching."
"Yeah."
There was silence as the duo awkwardly sat on the floor, in thought.
Fortunately, Edaline entered moments later, offering them cinnacreme and mallowmelt for a snack. This broke the awful, awkward silence between the two. They gratefully accepted and raced downstairs to grab the first ones before Grady arrived. After they ate, they decided to do a little Cognate training to keep up with Tiergan's training plan.
OK. I'm in. What were we supposed to do again?
I think we're supposed to share something we're meant to be ashamed of, but aren't or don't want to be. And usual rules, you can't have told anyone else.
Whoa. Sure, then. You can want to go first?
Nah. I'd rather not.
Guess I'm first.
Sophie felt Fitz's head spinning and a number of images running through his mind.
Sophie, Keefe, Biana, Dex. Alvar, Mr Forkle, Councillor Alina. Biana again, Linh, Sophie again. Wait, what? What was her face doing?
Fitz looked slightly harassed. He paused for a split second and then told her:
The time I helped sneak one of Kesler's inventions into Biana's makeup and gave her bad acne for a month.
You should be ashamed. A month??
Eh.
Nevertheless, Sophie still felt a surge of relief coming from Fitz. It seemed to have had something to do with the image of her face (and possibly Keefe's) flashing through his mind, but Sophie firmly told herself otherwise. Fitz couldn't possibly still like her, could he? Sophie shoved the possibility out of her mind.

About an hour later, Fitz awkwardly left after their session of training. Sophie didn't know how to feel. Yes, he was her ex-boyfriend. Yes, they were friends now. Yes, he was not as pushy as Dex had been during that annoying period of time. But something felt off, somehow. She decided that Keefe wasn't quite the person to talk to about this. Biana was. Firstly, she was Fitz's sister. Secondly, she was Sophie's best friend. Well, one of them.
Walking over to her desk to grab her Imparter, she suddenly spotted a small, gilded envelope.
Opening it, she whispered it out loud,
Dear Sophie,
I'm really sorry I was such a jerk before. Can you meet me at the Everglen lake at seven? Sandor can come, Grizel will be there. (Sandor relaxes slightly in the corner.) Please come.
Your friend,
Fitz.

Sophie reread the note several times. So did Sandor.
"Didn't you break up?" Sandor asked, rather insensitively.
"Yes," Sophie replied hesitantly.
"Maybe he wants to make it up to you," Sandor suggested. "He'd be a much better choice than Mr Sencen, in my personal opinion."
Sophie didn't respond. She stared at the piece of paper for so long, she felt as if her eyes would fall out of their sockets.
Sighing, she said, "Okay. I guess I'll go."
"About time," Sandor grunted. "Want to have a look at your clock? You have to change out of that uniform and head out. I'll tell Edaline you're going to see a friend."
Sophie jerked her head upwards, looking at the clock.
6.30p.m.

Grateful that Sandor wasn't mentioning this to Grady, she slipped into the bathroom to wash up before leaving.
About 15 minutes later, Sophie stood at the doorstep and held up an Everglen crystal to the fading sunlight, butterflies erupting into unsynchronised movement in her stomach.