I Need You

"Sophie. This really means a lot to me, but are you sure you want to do this? You should think about it more."

"I'm sure."

"Sophie..."

"Show me Councillor Terik."

                                                                                               *

"The announcement will be at noon." Councillor Emery proclaimed. The announcement of the new addition to Team Valiant. Fitz.

Of course, Sophie was the one to suggest it. But she hated that they had to go marching around Eternalia again. Wearing formal clothing plus capes. Plus circlets. At noon.

Fitz hugged Sophie. "Thank you."

"They told me they'd add you if I needed you. I need you. I always will."

Fitz hugged Sophie even tighter. "You really didn't have to do that."

"I did, though. Plus, I'm betting the next assignment will involve probing Glimmer's mind? Or maybe Tam's too, for anything that happened."

"Yeah, maybe."

"Mis- I mean Lady Foster, I need to tell you about the plan-" Bronte was interrupted by shouts from Dex and Biana: "It's Lady Fos-Boss!"

"As I was saying," Bronte continued, glaring pointedly at Dex, since Biana had thought to vanish. "You need to go in front of the rest of the team. You must show that you can lead. So, behind you will be your Cognate. Followed by the Vanisher, then the Flasher. Then, the Technopath. Lastly. The Empath. "We have names, you know," Stina called. As if on cue, all twelve Councillors rolled their eyes. "Okay, that was unanimous, we get it," Biana said, reappearing on the other side of the room. "So when are we going?" she added, pointing to the clock. "It's literally two minutes to noon." 

"Then wait two minutes," Councillor Zarina responded dryly. Biana nodded and vanished again.

"Thank you," Fitz repeated, for the millionth time. "I know we've just recently made up, and I've been horrible to you. So..."

"It's fine," Sophie promised. "If I didn't do this it could have broken our Cognate connection. I need you."

They both smiled at each other. They needed each other, and they knew that. 

And it was with confidence that Sophie led her team out of the Seat of Eminence.