Amende Honorable

Khione pov

I looked up and saw his face.

His red eyes surprised, when he saw that I was the one who had bumped into him. He looked at me his face portraying the confusion of the situation.

I quickly rubbed my eyes which were brimming with tears and turned around to escape this predicament when suddenly a cool hand dropped a handkerchief into my coat pocket and then that person walked away.

I quickly walked away, my thoughts tumbling over each other, and my hand tightly clutching the handkerchief.

Kaelean pov

I walked away quickly away from her.

This was the first time I have ever seen her so scared. Whenever I meet her I feel more confused than earlier. Why does she always make me feel this way?

But why did I give her that handkerchief?

When I am with her I always do stupid things.

But is she feeling better now? Should I have said something to her earlier?

What am I thinking?

The Next Day

Khione's pov

Shit, my eyes are so puffed.

I shouldn't have slept immediately after crying yesterday. I'm pretty sure Samara is gonna have a heart attack after she sees my eyes.

Knock Knock

There was a knock on my door. I'm so dead, I'm sure it must be Samara.

I opened the door and my heart literally stopped beating for some seconds. In front of me stood Nathaniel whose face was as red as his hair.

When he saw my eyes his cheeks got even redder and he started stammering.

I quickly yanked him inside and closed the door. His face got even redder than earlier.

He looked at me and then closed his eyes and said in a loud voice, 'I apologize about yesterday. I crossed the line. I will accept any punishment aaahhaghj.'

I quickly put my hand out his mouth to stop him from talking.

I whispered furiously, 'Are you crazy the hostel matron was taking rounds just now. Do you want our parents to get disciplinary letters from the school? And if you wanted to apologize you should have come in the evening why did you come so early. If she had seen you she would have thought you had stayed overnight.'

I looked at him waiting for him to answer me. That's when I realized my hand was still over his mouth. I quickly removed my hand realizing the awkwardness of the situation.

Nathaniel gulped and whispered back, 'I'm sorry I didn't see her.'

Then suddenly I heard Lindy's voice from the other side of the door, 'Khione open the door! I need to tell you something very important.'

Why is everyone so eager to meet me today?

Both me and Nathaniel looked at each other anxiously.

Lindy would surely misunderstand the situation if she saw Nathaniel in my room and I knew she was that type of person who will keep teasing me about this event even if I explained it to her.

I quickly grabbed Nathaniel's shirt and told him to hide in the fitting room.

He gave me a puzzled look but didn't say anything and quickly went inside the fitting room.

I took in a deep breath and opened the door.

Lindy quickly walked inside my room and said in an excited tone, 'Okay! Listen I have one good news and one bad news. Which one do you want to hear first?'

I thought for a second and decided to listen to the good news first because I was having a pretty bad time since yesterday.

'The good news first.'

Lindy said briskly, 'The principal decided to organize a trivilinge competition this year and all students are allowed participate in it.'

I looked at her disorientedly. She sighed and said, 'Khione you really don't know about anything outside of your beloved books. Trivilinge is one of the biggest competitions that happens once in like 3 or 4 years. It consists of three sports, sword battle, magic battle, and a written exam. The fact that this year it's being held in our school is a very big deal. All the students are going crazy. You should also participate in it after all you are good in studies and you have strong mana also.'

The good news didn't exactly sound good but anyway.

I then asked Lindy about the bad news. Lindy's face which earlier had been filled with excitement and anticipation quickly darkened and her voice became heavier as she said, 'Camilia has still not been found. Her parents have filed a complaint against the school in court. You know something right. Something that has to do with Camilia's disappearance.'

My whole body became stiff and my face became tense. I realized I had underestimated Lindy. I had become too comfortable with her and that's how she had been able to read my thoughts. I needed to be more careful from now.

The last thing I wanted to do was to succumb to despair by giving someone the power to read my true emotions.

There was silence in the room for a few seconds then I lied to her, 'A week ago I had seen Camilia and she looked very agitated at that time. That's why I was suspecting that maybe she had run away or something along those lines. I guess I'm wrong. Even she wouldn't throw a tantrum like this for so long.'

Lindy quickly replied, 'I just hope she is fine wherever she is. You know I'm pretty sure our principal is holding the Trivilinge just to divert the attention from Camilia's disappearance.'

I agreed with her and then we started talking about other matters. After like 15 minutes or so I asked Lindy to leave my room because I had to take a bath. She said goodbye and just as she turned and was going to leave the door a sneeze echoed through the room.

I cursed under my breath. Couldn't he stop his sneeze for two more minutes? Now both of us were officially doomed.

(1002 words)

Author's t/n

Thank you for reading 'Not even a Villainess'. Please don't forget to vote and comment on this chapter. :)

I'm so sorry for not uploading a chapter for so long. I was just on writer's block and had lost the motivation to write I don't know why. But I promise you guys that I will be updating more frequently. So stay tuned.

Don't forget to read my other novel 'The Forsaken Moon.'

I will be putting some of my favorite songs in space above the title. So I hope you guys will like them.

XOXO,

Wangloveskimchi aka Ramenroll