✈︎

Chapter 1

✈︎✈︎✈︎"Take me back to the night we met"- the night we met -

✈︎✈︎✈︎
"Take me back to the night we met"
- the night we met -

Wilbur first saw her when she stepped on the small, dimly lit stage. A black bomber jacket, covered in patches, adorns her body with boots on her feet. Her electric blue hair falling in her face as she plugs in her electric guitar.

Vienna first notices him when she pushes her hair out of her eyes and scans the small crowd. He's sitting in the front row and is staring. A drink rests lazily in front of him. Brown curls lay messily under a beanie. He's wearing a khaki jacket with the sleeves rolled up exposing forearm. She turns her attention back to her guitar and music.

The sounds flows seamlessly from the guitar, Wilbur watching her fingers and they move quickly. Her singing voice is raspy which only adds character to the song. She sings lyrics about drugs and heartbreak. She's enchanting, capturing everyone in the rooms gaze.

When she finishes he claps and watches as she puts her guitar in it's case. She then walks over to Wilbur, pulling up a stool next to him and leaning the case against the table.

"You know," she says, "staring would be considered rude in many places."

"It was hard not to stare at you," he responds.

Vienna laughs,"your name is Will right?" His heart drops thinking she's a fan trying to use him or something similar. "You look freaked out, I'm not a stalker I just heard your name when they introduced you earlier.

Wilbur laughs away his previous thoughts and smiles, "yeah I'm Will. Your name is Vienna?"

"Yeah but call me V, I'm not the capital of Austria."

This causes Wilbur to laugh, "well it's nice to meet you V, I liked your song."

"Thank you," she smiles, "I liked yours as well You play insanely well." She mentions to his guitar. Out of politeness they fall into silence as another man steps onto the small stage. Vienna leans over and whispers, "You want to get out of here?"

Wilbur nods and grabs his guitar as she does the same. They walk out of the building together and head down the streets of Brighton. "You're jacket," he says, "are the patches from places you've been?"

She nods, "I like to travel, never in one place to long. I tell people I'll put down my roots when I'm dead." Wilburs nods slowly as they arrive at the pier. The sun is setting and they take a seat on a bench.

"Why are you in Brighton?" He asks his curiosity spiking.

"I was born here, I'm here to see my family for a little while before I move on again." Wilbur smiles at her and she smiles back.

As darkness sets in they exchange numbers, promising to keep in touch while she is in town as Wilbur walks her home. Vienna steps inside the small house, closes the door behind in and leans against it as he walks away. She runs her fingers through her hair and reminds herself of her promise to not fall for anyone again. She's been hurt to many times for that.

Wilbur smiles to himself as he reaches his house. He's never met anyone quite like Vienna. He knows it's dangerous to feel this way, she told him she doesn't stick around. He decides that while she's here he will allow himself to feel this way. Of course he realizes he's only known her for a few hours.

When he gets changed into more comfortable clothing he gets out his phone and texts Vienna.

Unknown Number
Hey, this is Will

Vienna
Hey

Will from Brighton
What are you doing?

Vienna
Sitting on a roof hoping I don't fall

Will from Brighton
Sounds peaceful

Vienna
You're welcome to join me
Ladder is on the left side of the house

Will from Brighton
Say no more
I'll be there in ten

Gathering a few things, like his phone and keys he gets in his car and drives the short distance to Vienna's childhood home. When he pulls up he can see the outline of her body faintly against the darkness. He finds the ladder leaning against the side of the house and climbs up to sit next to her.

"Only in darkness can you see the stars," she says and Wilbur looks confused. "Martin Luther King," her head tilting back to look at the small pinpoints of light in the dark sky. Wilbur smiles at her and she returns the smile. "When I was growing up I would spend a lot of time up here, just watching the stars."

"Why did you come home?" Wilbur asks.

"My brother, his name was Leo, he died four years ago. It was cancer. I just wanted to come home and be with him again I guess. That probably sounds crazy. I was 18 when he died and I left right after and haven't been home since. I thought maybe it was time to deal with my grief."

"I'm sorry about your brother," Wilbur replies after a moment of silence between the two.

"It's okay," she whispers. The pair fall into silence again the only sounds are the distance sound of the ocean, which the house faces, and the cars driving by. The silence is comfortable and Vienna leans back to look at the stars.

For many years she has loved the stars. They connected her to each place she traveled, they were a constant. In each new place, the stars in the night sky would remind her of her home and her brother. She loved him more than anything in the entire world. He was three years younger and Vienna would have died for him to protect him. In the end her protection wasn't enough. He still fell victim to the disease that took over his body.

Despite protecting him with everything she had he still slipped through her fingers. Instead of facing the pain of losing them she ran away from her problems. She's been running ever since.