Chapter 4

Y/N and Ruby held each other before someone cleared their throat. They looked and saw Vernde tapping his wrist.

Vernde: Now, I know you two are happy to see each other, but I'm pretty sure we're trying to get to Haven as fast as possible.

Y/N: Right... So, how is everyone?

Everyone was silent at the casual question.

Vernde: We had our asses handed to us by a psychopath... How do you think we're doing?

Y/N: Well, besides a few cuts and bruises, you seem pretty okay. So, how much did I miss.

Jaune: Not much to be honest.

Qrow: So how did you get here?

Y/N: A lot of Shadow Travel.

Ruby: So, how did you know we were here?

Y/N lifted Ruby's hand revealing her ring. Qrow nodded as he understood.

Nora: Her hand?

Ren: No, her ring. I've heard of an old technique that allows one to put a piece of their Aura in an object. If they are strong enough, they can locate that item no matter where in the world it is.

Jaune: So, what is it exactly?

Qrow: Y/N basically turned the ring into a tracking device for him.

Y/N: Right, now let's get out of this place.

Later that night everyone was gathered around a campfire as Qrow was telling the story of the Maidens. He took a swig of his drink as the silence settled in.

Qrow: Really? No questions?

Jaune: Of course we have questions. This is just... a lot to take in.

Qrow: *sigh* Sure, of course.

Ruby: So these... Maidens... They're powerful fighters that don't need Dust to use magic.

Qrow: Yeah.

Nora: And there are four of them?

Qrow: Yup. Always.

Ren: Which means that, whenever one of them dies, the power transfers to someone - a female - that they cared about?

Qrow: Whoever was in their thoughts last. Important distinction. Best option is someone we can trust. Regardless, their souls become combined, in a way.

Jaune: And that's what you were trying to do to Pyrrha... the night the tower fell. You were trying to turn her into one of them.

Qrow: The previous Fall Maiden, Amber, had been attacked. She was young, inexperienced. And her assailant, who we now know is Cinder, somehow managed to steal some of her power, but not all of it. We were afraid that if we didn't do something, the rest would go to her as well.

Jaune: So you forced it on Pyrrha.

Y/N: You don't know that!

Jaune was surprised at Y/N's outburst.

Y/N: Do you really think that she would allow herself to be forced to do anything?

Qrow: Jaune, we didn't force anything. We explained the situation and gave her the choice, and she chose. You were there, you heard her.