Prologue

A/N: If you hadn't read the first book, then read it before continuing.

A figure was looking out a window with Emerald and Mercury. They watched as a Grimm emerged from a pool of black slime. The figure was writing in a notebook while examining the surrounding area

???: Very interesting... The surrounding land has pools of concentrated evil, which spawn these creatures known as Grimm to the denizens of this world.

Mercury: You are really creepy when you do that.

Emerald: How does that not bother you?

The three were interrupted by someone snapping their fingers. Emerald and Mercury left as the figure continued to write. At the center of the room is a long purple, crystal table. Four people sit at the table with seven chairs. One of them is Cinder Fall. Across from Cinder is Arthur Watts, whom s looking at his Scroll. The man to Cinder's right is Tyrian Callows. He sits in a crouch casually on his chair, resting his arms on his knees. Across from Tyrian is Hazel Rainart. His arms are crossed, and he looked asleep. Cinder sits quietly, while Mercury and Emerald move to her side. Emerald nudges Mercury out of her way so that she can be directly next to Cinder.

Watts: Yes, yes, please keep your posse in check.

Mercury grunts and makes a move toward Watts, but Emerald holds him back.

Watts: You hear that? Silence.

Hazel gives Watts an unimpressed sideways glance.

Watts: I've half a mind to thank the little girl that bested you.

Tyrian: If I were you, I'd hunt her down. (snicker) Find her and, well, she took your eye, didn't she?

Cinder only stares at Tyrian while he cackles at her. Cinder tries to speak but only manages to make quiet exhaling noises. Emerald leans in to hear her.

Watts: Pathetic. Why did you even—

Watts was interrupted by a heavy metal door being unlatched. The doors open and everyone stands just before Salem enters. She glides alongside the table with soft footsteps before reaching the head of it, jewels jangling from her hair. Salem stops, facing away from them and toward a candle and crystal display.

Salem: Watts.

Watts straightens, looking toward her.

Salem: Do you find such malignance necessary?

She gestures for all to sit down.

Watts: I apologize, ma'am. I'm not particularly fond of failure.

Watts and Salem sit simultaneously. Salem then turned to the figure standing at the window.

Salem: Please, sit.

???: Ah! Sorry, I was interested in the terrain.

The man ran to an empty chair and adjusted his red tie.

Watts: Who is this man?

Salem: He is someone who will help us. I've been told he is a tactical genius.

???: Thank you ma'am.

Salem: Now Watts, I see no reason for your cruelty towards young Cinder. She's become our Fall Maiden, destroyed Beacon Tower, and most importantly, killed dear Ozpin. So I'm curious, to what failures are you referring?

Watts: Well, the girl with the Silver Eyes.

Hazel: Yes. We've dealt with their kind before. How is it a novice was able to best one of us?