Chapter 16: What about a dam?

Cedars Sinai hospital, 7:00

At Cedars Sinai, police and the National Guard are trying to evacuate the injured people off the street. They're trying to get everyone out, but the patients are really hurt. So it's gonna be difficult to get them out. 

Newsman: Right outside Cedars, we don't know what's going on right now. Officials have told people around here to evacuate immediately. But realize, these are injured people, some severely injured, so something is going on.

In the subway tunnel, the lava continues flowing through the tunnel, and Mr. Volcano is still riding on it with a smirk on his face. Back at LA Cienega, Mike, Kenny, Amy, Jennifer, and the heroes have made it there, along with the police lieutenant. He told him everything what's going to happen, and the plan. He lays down a couple of maps. As he talks, a bunch of armored cops walk up to them.

Mike: Alright, here's what the lava and the monster's doing. They will flow down the Red Line subway tunnel. They will continue until they come to a dead end right here under this intersection. This is the Holly Hills storm drain extension. It connects here to the Holly Hills trench, and anything that flows into that trench is gonna come through the storm drain on down to Ballona Creek to the ocean. We got 25 minutes here--

Amy: (Looks at her watch) No, we got 20 minutes.

Mike: Alright, we've got 20 minutes to extend the San Vicente trench 200 yards up San Vicente Boulevard to this place right here. 

Lieutenant: Extend it?

Mike: Yes, extend it.

Cop: Lieutenant, where are we at?

Lieutenant: Ground zero. He said the lava's gonna break through right here.

Cop: (Looks at Mike) Right here?

Mike: Yes, right here. (Points out to the street) Look. What I want you to do is drill holes in San Vicente Boulevard, lower enough charges into it to blow up a trench 200 yards long, wide as the street, and as deep as you can possibly make it.

Cop: What?

Mike: We're gonna take this thing to the ocean. 

Toji: But hold on, what about Mr. Volcano? Something tells me he's gonna protect the lava this time. He'll make sure that it won't go into the trench. 

Mike: That's where you guys come in. Sora told me about what happened in Stanley. So the moment Mr. Volcano comes out with the lava, you all deal with him, keep him busy as we blow the trench, and wait for the lava to move into it. 

Sora: And after that, we'll defeat him once and for all. 

As they talk, Amy and Jennifer go to their jeeps to get some charts of the street. Their eyes widen as they look at the chart. They both run back to the hood of the jeep to show them. 

Jennifer: Oh, my gosh. Wait a minute. Wait, this is not gonna work. 

Amy: She's right. This street slopes the other way. Look at the contours. Now, look here.

She lays the chart down on the hood, and they look at it. They see that they're right. The street does slope the other way.

Namine: Wait, what does this mean?

Amy: It is not going to move into the trench. It is going to go the opposite direction, right into the patients. 

Jennifer: And even with Mr. Volcano getting distracted by Sora and his friends, it still won't work. 

Mike: Alright, well maybe some of it can be diverted--

Amy: It won't. Would you trust us? It is going to flow that way.