Chapter 3: Steam pockets

MacArthur Park, 9:47 am

In MacArthur Park, people are enjoying the beautiful day. They're sitting, laying, and walking on the grass of the park. 

News report: Seismologists are saying they think this morning's quake may have revealed a new fault system, not previously thought to be active under the L.A. basin...

On the edge of the park, a policewoman is talking to a couple of DWP workers, who are working on the storm drain underneath the park. Beside them are three young Japanese people. Their names are Momo, Sae, and Toji. They're talking to the policewoman. 

Policewoman: (To DWP worker) I don't care what your supervisor said. Nobody ran a work order past me, and this vehicle is on public property. 

DWP worker: What are you going to do, ticket us? 

Policewoman: Oh, you're the cute one. How about I tow your butt, honey? 

Just then, they all hear someone climbing up the storm drain hatch. They all look, and see another young Japanese man coming out. His name is Kairi, Momo's boyfriend.

Momo: Kairi? 

Kairi: Momo, get back! Stay back! (Looks down the hatch) Come on, hurry! 

He reaches down to pull someone out. Then suddenly, yellow steam comes out of the hatch, hissing. Kairi screams as the steam hits his arms. He falls backwards, still screaming as both his arms are burnt. A man's hand is sticking up through the steam in the hatch. 

Momo: KAIRI!!!

Momo, and their friends run to him as the two DWP workers run in to help their worker. 

DWP worker 2: Jeez. (Looks at policewoman) Get an ambulance! Quickly!

She runs to her car to radio for help. Momo holds Kairi as she tries to calm him down. The two workers pull their friend out of the hatch. Half his left arm is burnt too, along with his clothes. 

Momo: Kairi!

Kairi: Oh, gosh! My arms! 

Momo: Shh. Shh. It's ok. It's gonna be okay. 

Toji: But how did this happen?

DWP worker: He's right. What the heck happened down there? (Carries injured worker) Gently, gently. 

DWP worker 2: I know. (To injured worker) You'll be all right, buddy. Help's coming. Where's Danny? Danny? (Looks down the hatch) Danny? (Looks at the injured worker) Where are the others? 

Injured worker: (Coughing, and choking) (Rasping voice) They're burned up. Hot...

He loses consciousness, and turns over to the side, revealing half of his face is also burned. Half his hair is gone too. Everyone looks at him and Kairi. They then look at the hatch, where the yellow steam came out. Meanwhile, Sora and his friends are walking through the park. They all look around. 

Sora: Looks like everything is okay over here. 

Kairi: Yeah. 

Just then, they all hear people talking. They look, and see people running over to the edge of the park. 

Woman: My gosh! Someone got hurt! Bad!

The heroes run to where they're going. They see a police car parked by a DWP truck. They see two workers tending an injured worker. And three young people are tending their injured friend. 

Riku: Yeah, those people are in trouble. 

Donald: Come on, let's go see if we can help. 

The heroes run in to check on the injured. They're shocked to see the two men are badly burnt. In the Castle of Dark Illusions, Maleficent is watching the whole thing.