Chapter 4

During school, I constantly thought about Arson. Who was he? Why was he attacked? By whom? All these thoughts swirled around in my head until I came face to face with my own. Should I show him my secret place? In my parents wardrobe, they made an emergency room. Inside I had photographs of everyone in my family.

My great great grandparents, their children and so on until it got to my parents. They never took one of me, but I had snuck into the schools photography room and taken a quick shot of myself for the room.

There was other stuff my family managed to keep when they invaded. A dvd player, some CD's and an Ipod. I never told anyone about that room. Not even Sebastian.

As I walked home after school I decided I would show him. He was like me so whats the fuss? As I walked in I expected Arson to be on the couch, sleeping or reading one of those boring magazines. Instead I saw him in the kitchen, cursing at a freeze-dried packet of what looked like potatoes.

"Umm, you alright with that?" I asked dropping my bag on the couch. A small smile escaped to my lips as I walked into the kitchen.

"No. How do you get these things to work?" he grunted. I chuckled and grabbed the packet. It was supposed to be potatoes for a roast.

"Its potatoes." I glanced up at Arson trying not to laugh.

"Don't laugh and I know. I was hungry to I decided to try and make something."

"Try. Key word here." I placed the packet into the microwave and pressed dinner. A bright flash later and I open the microwave and got out the potatoes. They were garnished with rosemary I think. I handed them to Arson. "I want to show you something." I said. I walked to the bedroom with Arson following. We walked into the walk in wardrobe and I pushed aside a jacket that had once belonged to my pop. A single faded red button was behind it and I pressed the button. A panel silently slid open and I crouched and walked in. Small dust partials floated up from the floor, making me sneeze. The room was exactly the way I left it a few years ago.

"I stopped coming in here when I tried to be one of them." I said as I walked over to a table. I pressed a button on the wall and the room was instantly lit up in a soft white glow. Old wooden tables were set up on two sides of the room and shelves were put up on all four walls. One all the shelves, stood pictures of my family. Only a maximum of two photos were taken from each generation.

The first photo we had was one of my great great grandpa and his wife surrounded by a group of people who managed to survive and get away from the aliens. Another was just one of him and his wife. He had short grey hair and she had long grey hair up in a ponytail. Both were smiling into the camera but sadness filled their eyes.

Next to that photo was their child. He looked exactly like his mother, but he had short blonde hair. Same sad eyes and pain filled smile. He looked to be in his mid-twenties. That was the only photo of him, but he had a child called Daisy. She was my great nan.

She was on another shelf with two girls standing smiling in front of her. Both girls looked like their mother, but both had seen too much for children. Only one girl survived to have children of her own.

The cycle continued to my parents. A photograph of my mother and father holding hands and smiling at the camera, but this time they looked generally happy. Another photograph showed them in the same clothing as the first, but this time my mother was holding a child in her arms. Me. I smiled at that photograph and realised something I hadn't before. Everyone in the pictures wasn't wearing the silver skin lotion. Everyone was a different shade of pink. Except for the recent picture of me. In this photograph I was wearing a simple black long sleeves top and brown pants. My silver skin seemed to wrong for my face which beared a forced smile. Defiantly not one of my best pictures.