Chapter 8

Sorry for the delay in posting this chapter. My laptop died so i had to rewrite this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It looked like thick small trees had grown on the side of the trees three quarters up the tree length. Wooden bridges connected them to a main centre area that looked like a pavilion. Torches lined each bridge and the pavilion giving the entire area a golden orange glow.

My eyes darted back to Shani. She was grinning, a strange light in her eyes that wasn’t made from the orange glow of the lights. We were too far up for the light to reach the ground. My eyes shifted to Zachery. He was staring up at the trees, mouth hanging open in amazement and shock.

“Home.” Shani breathed.  I looked over and saw her smile.

“This is you’re home?” I asked in amazement. She nodded and walked over to a tree and pulled out a vine that was hidden in the bark chips. Shani wrapped the vine around herself and gave it two tugs. She was lifted off her feet and up into the trees.

I looked over at Zachery who was still staring after Shani. He meet my eyes and I looked away. A few seconds later, the vine fell back down, empty.

“After you.” Zachery said, opening his hands to the vine. Chuckling, I wrapped the vine around me the same way Shani did, and gave it two tugs. The vine tightened and I was lifted up off the ground.

I landed on the wooden floor with a loud ‘oof’. I undid the vine and threw it back down to Zachery. Shani was standing next to a wheel with vines peering down over the edge of a rail, watching Zachery as he was pulled up.

While he was being pulled up, I looked around. The pavilion was set up in the middle of this small village. Tables sat around a large dirt pit that sat directly in the middle of the pavilion. Smoke lifted up into the air at the pit which told me that that was a fire pit. Wooden bridges extended from the pavilion which led to the small trees, but they weren’t trees. They were huts. Huts made from wood which was coated in leaves to give the tree appearance. It was really impressive.

“Its not much.” I looked over my shoulder to see Shani standing over Zachery who was trying to unwrap the vines from around his waist. Behind her were the two beasts from earlier. I had no clue on how they got up here.

“Its amazing though.” I said. Shani smiled and put two fingers to her mouth and a high pitched whistle echoed through the trees. Almost imminently, people came rushing to the pavilion. I think my jaw dropped. There was a range of colours from light pink to a dark brown to an almost black. Everyone was running out with smiles on their faces, but sort of halted when they saw Zachery.

“Sup.” Zachery said, giving them a lopsided grin. A dark tanned guy stepped forwards with a sharp stick like the one Shani has and pointed it at Zachery. He had light blonde hair and very attractive features. If he was an alien, I would have thought he got the beauty surgery when he was thirteen. He wore a white tank top which was dusted in dirt and brown shorts which were baggy. Nothing like the skin tight clothing everyone else wore.

“Why did you bring this here?” he asked Shani.

“Because I asked her to.” I stepped forwards. The guy raised his eyebrows and withdrew the pointy stick. I knew I had his entire attention as he stared at me intently, making me nervous.

“That’s enough, Luke.” Shani snapped, and Luke gave me a grin before stepping back. “Can you and Stephan take him to the cage until I figure out why he’s here.” A rather skinny guy with light orange hair stepped out. He held some vines in his hand which he wrapped loosely around Zachery’s hands and led him down one of the bridges and into a hut. Everyone else seemed more relaxed when Zachery was gone. A group of children ran up to Shani and started laughing and begging to be picked up for something called a ‘piggy back ride’. I stood out of the way awkwardly as the pavilion filled up and I counted atleast twenty people all ranging in age.