Chapter 17

“Mum!” I screamed, pushing myself forwards. I was still lost in the dream as I tried to stumble forwards forgetting that I was on a tree branch. Falling to the floor I clawed at the tree bark, blinking away the fog in my eyes. I could feel my heart slam in my chest as I remembered I wasn’t there. No I was here, safe. Breathing heavily I collapsed onto my knees, hair floating around my face, shielding it from the world.

I haven’t remembered that moment in ages. I was the last person to see my mother alive. I was the only one who saw her die. I was twelve when they never came home. Remembering that memory released the rest of that week’s events. Throwing the phone around trying to call her back, sobbing until I felt sick then waiting at the door for them to come home. I missed two days of school before I figured out I had to pretend that everything would be alright. Asking around for simple jobs for money four days later then two years after getting paid to do other peoples work I was recruited by Sebastian and ever since that day I got the job I made sure to be super busy to remember.

Feeling my heart return to a normal pace, I dragged myself up from the ground, felling branches and sticks dig into my legs. A snap caught my attention and I jerked my head up so fast I heart it crack.

“Sorry,” Zachery held his palms up, his left foot hanging in mid-air. Slowly placing his foot in front of him, he walked up and crouched next to me. Sighing, I leaned my head back up against the tree trunk, closing my eyes.

“You alright?” I heard him ask. Nodding my head, I tried to forget the image burnt into my eyes. Why was everything so wrong? Sliding down the tree, I could feel the tension in the air but I really didn’t want to talk about it.

“I heard you scream,” Zachery said in an attempt to get a conversation started. I didn’t say anything but he continued. “I was walking out by the boundaries’ and you screamed so I thought you were in trouble-” I cut him off.

“I’m sorry, but I wasn’t in trouble. Just a nightmare.” Some nightmare though.

“You were sleeping out here?” he exclaimed. I already knew it was a stupid thing to do but I didn’t mean to.

“I didn’t intend to fall asleep but I sort of did,” I said, opening my eyes to face him. He was watching me with his eyes looking for a crack to crumble but years of playing normal made it almost impossible for him to do anything. Instead, he gave me a hug.

Pulling me towards him and wrapping his arms around me, I gasped. Well, almost impossible to crack. I dropped my head onto his shoulder, completely defeated.

“Arina, what did you dream about?” he asked, his breath making shivers go down my spine.

“My parents,” my voice choked and I had to supress a sob. No use crying over the dead.

“What happened to them? He asked; his voice soft.

“They died.”

“I’m sorry,” he whispered into my hair and I had to lean back before I laughed. “What?” he asked, a smile twitching in his lips.