Chapter 6

“Arson” I cried, shaking his shoulders. His body seemed heavy as I tried to get him to respond. Arson couldn’t be dead. Its just not possible. I looked up at Zachery who was staring at me. Reality kicked in and I realised he could kill me. I scrambled backwards, then turned and ran.

I didn’t give any thought to where I was going, but anywhere other than home. Even home wasn’t safe. Zachery new that I was human, and now he would be telling everyone back at school how he single handily killed a human and captured the other. His reputation would go through the roof.

I ran through back streets, over bridges until I reached the edge of the city. I never knew how close my home was to the edge of the city until now. A large area of green spread before me like the worlds largest green carpet except for a large river snaking through the green ground and in the distance, I could make out through the haze the line of the Vast Forest. We learnt about it in school. Not much was known except for trees, trees and more trees. I knew I was going East as the forest was East on maps. I gasped, trying to get my breath back.

Think Arina, think! Your lost, no were to go and a wanted fugitive. What do you do? The forest in the distance looked like the best place to go. All animals were killed because they were a threat to the aliens. Almost every alien had an allergic reaction to the animals, which meant they killed them all of. It was almost like on Zudora the aliens just lived. That was it. Wake up, eat bland tasteless food, make nuclear weapons and go back to sleep. Their entire focus was on making better weapons, like they thought that making weapons was more important than making the world pretty. No paintings or music. Just destroying things.

I was so lost in thought I didn’t hear the sound of footsteps behind me until I was tackled to the ground. I landed in the dirt with a groan and a heavy weight pressed itself against my back, pinning me to the ground. I struggled to get him off, but he had me effectively pinned. I heard the click of metal and realised this was a cop, or Zachery. Either one was bad enough.

Because I was covered in sweat, I managed to get my hands free from behind my back and roll over. Without thinking, I scrambled to my feet and ran. I was sore and covered in dirt, but I didn’t stop. I glanced over my shoulder to see Zachery gaining ground. He was also covered in dirt, but had no gun. He was the schools athlete, which meant I had no chance of beating him in a race over distance. Even when I was running for my life.

The river shone up ahead, reflecting the suns rays into my eyes, but still I did not stop. My toes dug into the dry earth and I stumbled a bit when I reached the soft grass. Zachery made the opportunity and grabbed my arm, wrenching it to the side. I was thrown to the ground, wheezing for air. To my right only a hundred metres away was the river. A rather thick river of brownish green water running into the forest. I knew that once I got into the forest, I would be able to loose Zachery in the overgrown shrubs and dense trees.

But maybe you won’t make it a small part of my mind whispered as I rolled over to face Zachery. He was also covered in sweat, but wasn’t wheezing like I was. Now I know why he won first place for the sprints in school. His face was unreadable as he took out a pair of handcuffs. A thin chain of unknown metal they brought over from Zudora. I never paid much attention in science but I know they are unbreakable. Smelted down from a combination of metals until a light silver metal remained, much lighter than skin colour. Like the colour of liquid mercury.