Chapter 5

Hun Ligger

Hun Ligger

Oslo, Spring 2019

On the private flight to Europe with the small Tenet team, Crystal tormented her talisman with her nervous fingers.

Having been able to impress someone with her shooting skills had offered her a future when in her teenage years she believed she had none.
Those two coins were the symbol of when her life changed, when she was finally allowed to be ambitious, to own her life.

She lived in Stockholm for some months. If only she didn't dare to be too ambitious, she would be still there, with some normal job that didn't require secrecy and murders, not knowing that in the world existed ruthless people like The Korol and Damaris.

Oslo wasn't so far from her former house.
She wondered if after leaving Tenet she could get a chance to visit Sweden again on her way back to Russia.

They landed in Norway in a cold evening.
The action was scheduled for the first lights in the early morning.

Crystal followed Neil and Ives and other four agents in a provvisory camp, where they analyzed their plan once again.

All the had to do was to pick a valuable black suitcase from its hiding place in Oslo and bring it to the US, to hide it in a safer location.
Formerly they were said that the suitcase contained some plutonium.
But Crystal believed that it was much more. Some precious nuclear weapon or even worse.

"It will be just a quick trip" Ives tried to comfort her, noticing her anxiety "We don't expect too much action. But just in case, we will put on our usual military gear".
She nodded with an unfocused gaze.

When the team was dismissed and the agents were allowed to take some rest, Crystal was left alone with Neil.

Gathering the papers and maps into his bag, he looked reluctant to bear her company.
"You look like you had some sleepless nights" he said bluntly.

"Yeah, just pre mission stress" she blurted, stepping closer to him with her arms tightly crossed on her chest.

It was wonderful that she didn't have to kill him anymore, but it didn't mean that he would survive the next day.
Although he gave her reasons to dislike him, he seemed to be very different from the brutal people she worked for.
She couldn't force him to like her. And that was fine.
That wasn't enough to be a death sentence for him.

"It's normal" he said pretending to comfort her "But all you have to do is to strictly follow our orders. Then, within tomorrow, we'll be flying back to New York".

Not for her. Her path was different.
That was a goodbye. But she couldn't say it. And keeping it a secret was sucking her energies away.

She just nodded weakly with her head low and was surprised to feel his hand touching her shoulder.
"Try some sleep" he suggested crossing her dazed eyes "We leave at 4 am and we won't be waiting anyone who oversleeps".