Chapter 13

(⚠️ warning: this chapter deals with themes that sensible people might find disturbing.
Just remember that in real life when you feel depressed and very desperate, just ask for help. There is always hope for everyone and you are never ever alone :) Just let people know that you need a helping hand)

 There is always hope for everyone and you are never ever alone :) Just let people know that you need a helping hand)

Moscow, Russia

When Crystal woke up, she needed some time to realize that it was shocking that she was still alive.
It was late, but she didn't care.
She lingered on her brooding.
Why did Sam intervene in The Korol's mission to tell her to resign from her job?
She thought he did it in the name of their friendship, but it was too risky for him.
What if after escaping from a cage, she fell into another one?
What if Sam was just aiming at making his possible dream come true? To turn that acting couple of his pictures into a real, married couple?
Crystal felt retching at the idea.
She blamed it on her strong affection, or obsession, for Neil.
He trusted her and she betrayed him. And that was already unforgivable.
She couldn't waste also everything she had left of him, her memories, by pretending to replace him with another man. No matter if Sam could be the best person in the world.

Sam didn't deserve to put himself at risk for her.
What about Damaris? What was he plotting with The Korol?
What if he was planning to put into action his trap? To tell Tenet that she was kidnapped?

After hesitating to take into account that choice, Crystal accepted that it was the only solution she had against her worries.
She needed to go back and pretend that her departure was her own decision. To simply pack and leave. The neighbors would see her leaving and hopefully spread the news. She had no courage to say goodbye to anyone.

Sam interrupted her planning, announcing that he made some breakfast for her.
She welcomed his kindness and hospitality.

When she looked at herself on the mirror, she could barely recognize herself.
She could hear Damaris repeating that she was the ugly duckling.
She couldn't travel in that way, so she borrowed some money from Sam to buy some make up and a ticket.

"A ticket for what?" Sam asked confused by her request.

"I'm taking a train".

"What?" he exclaimed confused "I thought you were staying here".

"I have to pack my things" she said trying to sound firm in her decision "I didn't think that he would dismiss me without ordering to conclude the mission. So I left everything there. I need to close this loop".

"I can go for you" he offered grabbing her hands "Just give me the keys".

"I have to do it. It's too dangerous for you" she said pulling her hands away from him.

"How can I protect you if you go so far on your own?" he insisted.

"It's a risk I need to take. It's better than doubting if I'm caged here in Moscow or I'm truly free. I think I've seen this film before. And I didn't like the ending".