Chapter 18

Finally the inversion time ended and they used a turnstile to revert

Barbara accompanied them to Siberia, while the rest of the team and the enemies were getting ready on the horizon.
Crystal glanced around the martian landscape, almost hoping to spot Neil amongst the figures that arrived with chinooks, wondering how he got ready to that final mission after so many days away from her.

"Let's get ready" The Protagonist ordered, welcoming the gears that Barbara gave them.

Crystal wore it, feeling the tension growing. Neil wanted her to stay away from inversion. That would break his heart. But it was nothing compared to her broken heart for the knowledge of the possible future that the boss predicted.
A future that was happening in ten minutes.
Ten.
It was also the base of Tenet.

"Great. Now it looks like his" he commented as Crystal helped him wearing his backpack where she tied her talisman.
The Protagonist kept repeating the instructions while they marched carefully towards the hypocenter.
Feeling protected by her gear, Crystal suspected that they bumped also into Neil as they melted with the two teams working on the field.
The Protagonist pulled her to a safer place, pointing at where the turnstile was hidden.
Then they checked where the entrance of the pit was.
They saw someone of the team going in there.
Crystal thought that it was Neil was tempted to run to him, but her boss stopped her.

"Not now. We need to wait and then invert ourselves. Maybe you don't need to invert if you can stop Neil before he uses the turnstile".

"So we see also the explosion?".

"Yes, that's why we need to hide now. Then I'll go back and fix it all".

They checked the hour and when the countdown ended, a terrible explosion shook the earth.
That was where Neil's body was destroyed.
Crystal cried, feeling her ears buzzing.

Her companion shook her "It's time. Can you do it all without panicking?".

"Yes" she said trembling, then used more confidence "For Neil, yes".

"Good. Then good luck. And goodbye" he patted her shoulders and walked away.

"Wait!" she called before he could leave her alone "If this is the last time we meet, can't you tell me your real name?".

He forced an apologetic smile "I can't. It's too dangerous".

"Why?" she asked. They were in the middle of nowhere. Or he didn't trust her enough?

"Posterity" he corrected her suspects.

She nodded, finally understanding and said heartfelt "Thank you".

He nodded and tapped on his watch.
She looked down at her own watch and when she raised her eyes, The Protagonist was gone.
She was alone.

But after some moments she saw another person running on the opposite direction to reach the turnstile.
Crystal hesitated a friction of second longer.
When she started to run, he was already in advantage.