Chapter 14

Kiev

Kiev

November 2019

Besides the mission, for Crystal the days in Kiev meant sharing all the truth about her life to Neil.
He also spoke in Russian sometimes, helping her accept her past and grow more fond of him.
He was a good listened and never gave the impression that he was judging her.

Love started to unveil to her with wonderful meanings and she learned to accept her past. Because every step had led her to Neil and to their strengthened bond.

Ives and some other agents joined them in their last weekend in that city.
Crystal felt recovered enough to work together with the team without feeling emotional.
When just some days earlier she had given up on hopes and even on her life, she was like reborn, free to live and love fully with no more secrets.

"Our boss says that we are allowed to have some holidays by the end of the year" Neil said after they left the rest of the team at the restaurant "Seems fair, after all we've been through this year. Do you have any suggestion?".

Crystal glanced around at the night view of the city centre "Holidays...".

She winced when she heard buzzing.
"Damn, Ives left his phone in my bag" she realized, finding the device that was vibrating "I have to go back".

"I'll go" Neil offered, snatching the phone from her "You said you're tired. And I run faster than you. Wait here a moment".

She smiled and watched him jogging through the traffic, until he disappeared from her view.
Breathing deeply, she tried to enjoy the landscape.
Nights were very colorful in every large city.
Crystal looked around trying to locate the ghostly figure of the Motherland Monument, that reminded her of the Statue of Liberty in New York, that she was used to see daily when she trained at the near Tenet camp.

She was distracted by a limousine stopping at her back.
It wasn't something new, expect for the fact that when the door opened she recognized a familiar face.

She needed to blink and peer at the man to be sure that her eyes weren't affected by her drowsiness.

"Sam?" she called, a bitter sense of guilt invading her.

"Crys" he called back, marching to approach her "What happened? I was worried for you".

Crystal crossed her arms with uneasiness. That encounter was totally unexpected again "I'm sorry. I had an errand".

"You decided to stay with Tenet?" he asked with disappointment.

Her voice died in her throat. She wasn't able to confirm it, feeling the panic spreading through her paralyzed body.
The world was so small if people can find her so easily.

"It's better than putting you in danger" she replied feebly, but it wasn't enough to justify her choices.

"You could have trusted me enough to tell me" he accused her, trembling with anger.