Chapter 16

January 2020

The holidays in paradise couldn't last forever.
They had celebrated Christmas and welcome the New Year together, although every single day seemed a celebration.
A celebration of their love.
Crystal went back to Berlin, still drunk of the happiness she experienced with Neil.
But grateful for that priceless present, she also felt more motivated to help The Protagonist, who insisted on strictly scheduled trainings with inversion and the temporal pincer movement.

Crystal was reading some unpleasant news about a new virus spreading in China, when she raised her head to see Neil wearing a deep frown too.
She dropped the newspaper on the bed and welcomed him to sit next to her.

"Can I ask you something?" he asked after hesitating for a while, with a folder in his hands.

"Tell me" she encouraged him.

"Would you sign these papers? So you can become co owner of my house in LA?" he placed the folder on her lap.

"Co owner?" she repeated trying to understand what he meant "Is something wrong? Do you need a loan?".

"No" he smiled caressing her face to try to wipe her worry from her expression "I just want to get rid of a worry. If something happens to me, I want to be sure that what I have will be lawfully yours".

If something happens to me.
Her mind abhored that allusion.
What she had in mind was more than just some expensive properties.
She didn't care about money and owning big houses.
But she felt that it was meaningful for him, so she avoided arguing and agreed.
Maybe it was just the first step to another more meaningful one.

The Protagonist summoned the couple after few days, announcing a new big mission for the following weeks.

"You'll work with my younger self, who still knows very little about Tenet" he revealed to Neil, who peered at him trying to digest all the details that the boss was sharing.

"So this is how you always had an advantage through all these years. At every stage, you've known more than you should".

The older man eyed him smugly, then turned to focus on the young woman.
"What do you know about Stalsk 12?".

"The camp in Russia?" she asked surprised to hear that name "It's a secret location for underground nuclear testing. How do you know about it?".

"I'm surprised that you know" he countered "It's also Sator's birth town".

"That explains why he's so heartless. Why Stalsk?" Neil asked.

"It's one of the locations for our mission. So keep it in mind".

"I'm starting to despise this office work" Crystal commented after The Protagonist, after he revealed that Neil was joining actively the missions while she had to stay on the background with the boss.

"I know, but this mission is very important. It's the basis of Tenet" the older man replied sternly "Every single detail must be accurate and perfect. Or we'll face the end of the world".

Neil simpered "I like when you use those famous words to impress us. That new virus is the end of the world, isn't it?".

"No. It has nothing to do with us" the older man cut off.

"But what if the Russians made a deal with the Chinese to create it and...".

"Enough! Neil, please, this is not a joke" The Protagonist exclaimed on the verge of losing his temper.

"Sorry, sir" Neil said blankly.

"This is a goodbye, Neil".

The younger man dropped his jaw "What? Are you kidding me?".