[35]

Evelyn's hand was held in Jay's as the two stood outside the gates of Wayne Manor. He had finally brought her to meet his family and though she had been nervous, he had assured her that the Waynes would turn out to be much more weird so she didn't have to worry about what they thought of her.

In fact, he mentioned that he should be the one getting worried about what she might think of them since they were chaotically dysfunctional to say the least.

Alfred opened the door and a smile broke out on his face seeing the two, "good evening Miss Nichols, Master Jason."

"Good evening," she smiled politely and Jason led her in.

"Hi Alfred. So who else is at home?" Jay asked noticing that it was really quiet.

Alfred closed the door behind them as he replied, "Master Bruce will return at his usual time, Master Richard and Master Damian are in the training hall, Miss Gordon is there too. As for Master Tim..."

"Right here," Tim almost gave the two a shock turning up unexpectedly from nowhere it seemed. Jay looked at him in confusion, trying to figure out where he had sprung up from.

"Master Tim has found a new hobby of giving jump scares to almost everyone," Alfred elaborated, "the first few times he even got me."

"But where did he...?"

"Floorboards, Jay," Tim remarked triumphantly, "see, this one is fake."

"Excuse you? The Manor has marble flooring so how the fuck did you just manage that?"

He laughed, "that's a secret I'm not gonna tell. Besides there's a whole tunnel underneath this floorboard that I dug out and the rest is confidential information."

Evelyn had a small amused smile on her face, "and you did it all by yourself?"

"Well... I had a little inside help but not gonna say who," he winked mischievously.

Jason looked at him closely realizing in an instant who the inside help could be, "the gremlin..."

Tim looked thoroughly flabbergasted, "Jay! His name is Damian, please... He's my little demonic brother that I love very much..."

His voice had trailed off as he dramatically announced, making a smile tug up on Jay's features as well.

Evelyn was laughing by then at their hilarious antics, "hey, when did that happen?"

"...And I would not stand if anyone other than me called him a gremlin," he completed the sentence, "yes Evelyn, that happened. A few weeks ago to be precise."

"You sure are in some mood today," Eve remarked.

Tim's pale face was radiant and that was in itself quite a rarity, "yeah, this mood is called Timmy accidentally fished out the keys to Alfred's coffee stock. And the rest, as you must have known fairly well by now, is history..."

Jason was shaking his head as if disappointed, hand landing on Tim's shoulder as he steered him towards the living room, "you seriously have a problem with caffeine. You get high on it."

"I know right! It's called beyond addicted."

"Tim, stop..." Then turning to Evelyn, Jay added, "see this is what I meant by the dysfunctionality that runs in the Waynes. And you've only just met Tim while he's being a caffeinated wreck so I'm already a little anxious about the impression the others are going to set on you."

Eve shrugged off his remark, "oh come on, I'm already used to Tim's antics. The rest of your family can't be any weirder than this."

Tim burst out laughing, "oh oh you have no idea... You'll take your words back the second you meet Dami then. Or Dickie for that instance. Both might be very different but they tend to shock people who they meet for the first time."