[31]

Tim had been unbelievably cheerful the next day. He woke up early, helped Jay with the breakfast and his lively chatter brightened up the atmosphere. Evelyn had a smile on her face watching the two as they worked in the kitchen together and though Jason was silent, he was listening to Tim closely, occasionally adding a remark or two himself as well.

After breakfast, Evelyn had to leave for the Institute and Jay had to drop Tim back at the Manor. Deep down he was slightly nervous thinking about how they would all react but he was trying not to think about it, pushing it off to the very last minute.

Jay had taken his car out and Tim had already climbed into the backseat, by the looks pf it he was extremely enthusiastic for them to go the Manor after dropping Eve at the Institute.

"Before getting into the car, Evelyn turned to face him, her hand gently squeezing his own in reassurance, "everything's going to be fine, Jay, Trust me."

He nodded but did not say anything in reply, all the harsh words he had spoken to Bruce revolving consistently in his head.

"Guys, we're getting late," Tim had rolled down the window as he called out to them, "get in."

"You sure are very happy to go back," Jay spoke up at last, starting the engine and backing the car off onto the road, "I thought considering the gremlin's still there, you would stay with us longer."

"I promised two days and you guys let me stay for double, I can't overstep my boundaries because who knows maybe your kindness would run out. And I would definitely not want that."

It were moments as these when Tim truly appeared a normal ambitious boy with dreams of reaching the heights and enjoying life. But soon as he donned the cowl, it would age him ten years at least for as Red Robin, the boy was completely different.

Evelyn laughed, light azure eyes connecting with his sparkly blue, "oh come on Tim, my doors are always open for you. You know that."

"You're a blessing to us, trust me," he replied, an adorable smile spreading on his otherwise pale features.

"Indeed," Jay added and watched from the corner of his eyes as a lovely red dawned on her face. He parked in front of the Institute and she got off after giving him a reassuring glance since she knew exactly how different he was truly feeling from the calm appearance he had managed.

He waited until she had gone inside but even then he felt as if he couldn't drive to Manor. Even though he knew meeting his family and clearing everything up in between them was the right thing to do, still he felt weighed down.

"Jason, you okay?"

He turned to look at the boy who was watching him closely with an almost concerned expression in his eyes. "I'm okay, why do you ask?"

"It's been five minutes since Evelyn went in."

"Oh," he started the car at that remark, "I didn't notice."

"Hey, it's alright," with one agile leap Tim was at the passenger seat beside, his bright blue eyes looking at him softly, "you can take all the time you need but know that you'll eventually have to face all of them. So the sooner you get it done with, the better. That's exactly what you had said to me too, right?"

"Right," his eyes were focused on the road, hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. He let out the breath he was holding attempting to relax himself, "the sooner we get done with it, the better."

Wayne Manor loomed into view as Jason turned down the very familiar residential lane. The vast garden spread out before him and the building he once used to call home stood there just like before, seemingly embracing him into its familiar atmosphere.