[11]

After that major showdown with the Joker and Black Mask's gang accompanied by that blast in Crime Alley, Red Hood disappeared for Gotham for a while. There was word that he was still controlling the drug trade of the city, making sure that the dealers weren't deviating from their fixed limitations. But there had been no public appearance of the Red Hood after that.

The scarlet helmet and the armor he used to wear was locked up in a cupboard, the lock of which hadn't been turned open ever since that night. However, Jason Todd was still there in the city, living in the shadows and keeping away from Batman's strict watch.

He usually spent most of his time with Evelyn because her company made him forget about all the unpleasant parts of his life. And though it was taking him time to adjust to the normal life where he didn't have to think about revenge or the past, he was still adamant on making the best out of it.

Because not everyone was given a second chance and surely he did not want to waste his second chance at life.

The alleys were dark as Jason walked through, his footsteps untraceable and his pace steady as he crossed the cobblestoned paths. Silence engulfed him until there was a gust of wind behind him and a voice sounded catching him by alarm.

"Jason?"

He stopped in his tracks, knowing that he wasn't alone in the dark alley. The sound of footsteps behind him would have been inaudible to an average human but with his heightened senses, he could pick up on it easily. 

The swish of the cape and the slight tap of the boots was enough for him to deduce that the person behind him was a vigilante. However the voice was much younger than Richard or Bruce's and his jaw clenched slightly upon realizing who it would be.

Red Robin. Or rather Timothy Jackson Drake, Bruce Wayne's recent adoption case.

And though he had paused hearing his own name being called out, he started walking again as if not wishing to face the boy.

"Jason, stop," the pace quickened and the younger vigilante approached him at last, his gloved hand closing on to his shoulder.

Jay shrugged him off immediately spinning around and catching him by surprise, his hand gripped him by the throat pushing him to the wall behind him.

Bluish green eyes burned in an unfathomable fire as he studied the boy's half concealed features. He wasn't as muscular and broadly built as Jason had been at his age, his skin was deathly pale and though the mask was covering his eyes, Jay knew he could peel it off right then to see a pair of uncertain blue eyes.

Timothy Drake, the new Robin. Not in any way resembling him in stature or built but Robin nevertheless.

The boy was quick to wriggle out of his grip and stood in front of him, gloved hand rubbing his throat slightly. "Can we talk?"

"No," he replied firmly.

"If you think someone has sent me to talk to you, you're wrong. I came by myself because I want to clear some things to you," his words were calculated and well rehearsed, as if he had been preparing himself for quite some time earlier as well, "I can give you my word that I won't tell Batman."

There was an awkward pause between them but Jay hadn't torn his threatening gaze away from him, "why would you want to talk to me? It will be of no use."

"I know you probably hate me but..."

"I don't hate you, kid," his tone was slightly harsh, "why would I hate someone who would fall to the same fate I did, sooner or later?"

"It's not like that... He tried to save you, he still feels the guilt..."

"He feels nothing!" His voice rose to an alarming pitch such that Red Robin backed off, "if he felt any sort of guilt, he wouldn't have turned you into what I used to be. He wouldn't have risked another life, another soldier, another fault..."