||Rain||

A/N

I split the previous chapter in half so ignore this update if you've read it already.

~

"You know Freya, I don't think it's gonna be that bad"

My vision was cast downwards, my attention focused on balancing while getting one foot in front of the other as I walked along a fallen tree trunk.

"I mean, we're finally gonna meet new people, there's gonna be food and music and—have you ever seen a castle before? We're gonna be in a castle Frey! That sounds like the furthest thing from horrible, don't you think?"

Freya and I were at one of our favourite thinking spots— a beautiful stream with shade bearing trees and yummy smelling flowers. Freya and I discovered this stream years ago when we wandered a bit too far from home while playing hide and seek. We've been coming here ever since.

"I don't care about the castle Rose, we don't know these people. It's worse enough that we have to go to a completely different world for this thing but pair that with the possibility of one of us being a daemon's mate? This is an absolute nightmare."

She grumbled her words and fixed her hardened glare on the ground beneath her. She was sitting against a large rock a few feet away from me with her knees pulled up to her chest.

I frown at her and hop off the trunk.

"Freya please, you know it's not fair to say that. The King's son is probably lonely and he must feel empty without his other half. I don't think he meant any harm in asking for us."

Freya grumbled more at my words and blew at a few blonde strands that fell over her forehead in frustration.

I could tell that she wanted to say something more but she hesitated. Finally, she spoke again, although quieter this time.

"How can you stay so positive. Aren't you scared?"

I blinked at her question and pondered it for a second.

Scared? No, I don't think I am. I think my feelings more closely align with anxiousness or discomfort. I have an odd relationship with the unknown—it's something that I'm oh-so-curious about but I can't get rid of the yucky feeling that accompanies it.

Mama always says that stress is healthy, in moderation of course. How would we ever learn without pushing ourselves past our limits? How would we try new things, explore or live?

A bird would never know flight if they didn't jump from their mother's nest...and I think that I'm ready to make that jump.

"I...I don't know. But I do know that we shouldn't judge people that we don't know Frey. I think that we should try to make the best of this situation. We can even make an adventure out of it."

I walked over to where she was sitting and offered her my hand to help her stand up. I even threw in a cheesy grin and wiggled my brows a bit. That should do the trick.

She looked at me for a second, a frown still covering her face. Although, with a sigh she accepted my help and stood to her full height, that being just a few inches taller than myself.

"I'm sorry...it's just that my mom has been telling me that Daemons are dangerous. That the only reason we're in alliance with them is so they don't kill us. We're faeries Rose, I don't understand why they would think that one of us would be the Prince's mate. We're completely incompatible."

I winced at her words but I wasn't surprised. Freya's mom was almost as bad as mine when it came to protecting us. Although I couldn't deny that her mom liked to scare us into keeping out of trouble.

'Don't wander too far or else the wolves will eat you', 'don't stare at the sun while she's at her peak otherwise she'll steal your sight'

I held back a shudder at the last one. I just wanted Freya to know that there was nothing to be scared of.

After the Harvest gathering, Elder Amis could tell that I was a bit rattled. She took me on a walk and asked me how I was feeling about the news. I was honest, and she was understanding.

We had a long talk about who the Daemons were and she told me a little bit about their history. It was so interesting to learn about people that were not like my own. After our conversation, I found that anxiousness had replaced my fear and curiosity had blossomed.

I wanted Freya to experience the same.

"Elder Amis said that Daemons are like rain..." I explained, while pointing to the sky. "They can be overwhelming, loud and violent like a storm but they can also be as soft and gentle as a drizzle. Daemons are very different from us but that doesn't make them bad. I think your mom is just worried. The elders said that we're gonna be fine."

I could tell that Freya was warming up a bit, just as I did, as her frown had melted away and her eyes seemed less hesitant.

Although, I can't say that mama has had the same transformation. She was still quite shaken up after we went home and I can tell that she hasn't been sleeping well. I'm honestly surprised that she agreed to let me go to the stream today, as she's been absolutely refusing to let me out of her sight.

I look at the sky and know that I have a bit more time to get back but I want to be on my best behaviour. Mama is already stressed out enough.

"I think we should head back now, I wanna make sure ma's okay."

Freya nodded in understanding and we linked our arms as we walked back home. Our short journey was filled with a calming silence and we soon parted ways after embracing in a warm, comforting hug.

I open my front-door and was about to announce that I was home, but two hushed voices stopped me.

"I won't let her go tomorrow Pike, I just won't."

My brows furrowed.

Why is Elder Pike here? And are they talking about me?

"Amara, I sympathize, I really do. But there is nothing we can do here, it's out of my hands. Primrose will be safe, no harm will come to her—"

"But how can you be so sure?! She's my world Pike, my only child, my little girl. If anything were to hap—"

I bite my lip when her voice breaks, a choked sob escaping her. I'm standing in the entryway, and it sounds like they're in the kitchen.

I walk towards the kitchen entrance and lean my body against the wall.

"Child, you know that Primrose has a special place in my heart. But you need to start letting go, it's not healthy for you to worry like this."

"I can't help it, you know I—"

I squeak as I step on one of mama's shoes, the loud sound immediately drawing silence from the other side of the wall.

"Rose? Is that you?"

Her voice sounded closer, and I knew that she was getting closer to the entryway, where there was no door to separate us.

My eyes widen and I step back, not wanting to be caught in the act.

"Yes, i-it's me ma'. I was just heading upstairs"

I stumble over my words, and I can feel my cheeks heat as they usually do when I'm lying.

I turn away from the kitchen and hurry upstairs, not even giving mama a chance to catch me and question me further.