#18 : Heaven's mandate

As Mingyan was preparing to face the wrath of readers, the Jianghu was facing the wrath of the Demon Lord. Luo Binghe after being in hiding for quite some time had returned to Huan Hua Palace to take the place of the Palace Master. The old Palace Master had retired suddenly and disappeared, leaving the position to the already selected successor inspite of his associations with the Demon realm. A rumour floated around that Luo Binghe was hiding the body of Peak Lord Shen in the Palace. Naturally, Cang Qiong Mountain Sect was not happy.

The moment Liu Qingge heard that Peak Lord Shen's body was in Huan Hua Palace, he charged into the place and attacked. Of course, he had to face Luo Binghe in the process. He returned empty handed.

Mingyan worried about her brother. Once he returned, he locked himself in his residence on Bai Zhan Peak and refused to see or talk to anyone. He refused to get his injuries treated or even eat. Mingyan went to Bai Zhan Peak to convince him to let Peak Lord Mu tend to his injuries. "Gege, please! The wounds will worsen if they are not treated in time." she said as she stood outside the door. "Please let Peak Lord Mu treat them." "What's the point?" said Liu Qingge and let out a long sigh. "What's the point of tending to wounds that will never heal?"

Mingyan turned to Peak Lord Mu who was patiently waiting for Liu Qingge to open the door. She only shook her head to indicate it's no use. "I'll return once he feels better." said Peak Lord Mu and bowed, Mingyan returned the gesture.

The next day, Mingyan and Xiuying went to Shuang Hu city to meet Chen Meirong. Jia Yi greeted them and hurriedly pushed them towards the folding screen. The girls were confused. "My Miss wants to talk to you urgently." she said and shoved them into the office room. "Oh! You finally came!" Meirong stood up to greet them. "I'd have landed in trouble if you had come any later."

"Is everything okay?" Mingyan hesitated a little. Since the day Luo Binghe had become the Master of Huan Hua Palace there was nothing but fear all around. Everyone watched their step and tried their best to not get in his bad books. There was no way to know how one would be punished if they angered Luo Binghe. The news of Liu Qingge's failed attempt to retrieve the late Qing Jing Peak Lord's body spread faster than wildfire. If the Bai Zhan Peak Lord got defeated, there was no chance of survival for others.

And Mingyan had basically done the task of provoking Luo Binghe by writing him and his late Shizun into a love story!

"Everything is crumbling away." said MeiRong. "If this continues my shop will collapse." Mingyan and Xiuying were alarmed. "Is there something we can do to help you? We'll do as much as we can." said Xiuying. "Even if you had not offered to help, you would have to." MeiRong replied. "You are obligated to help out of this mess."

Mingyan sighed. She was done for. There was no way to avoid facing the rage of the Demon Lord. "I apologize for dragging you into this. I take full responsibility." she said. "What did they say?" "They said they will be waiting for the second volume."

. . .

What was that supposed to mean?!

"The readers said they enjoyed 'Regret of Chunshan' and they are waiting for the next volume." MeiRong smiled at the confused faces before her. Mingyan blinked twice. "Wh- What about the Demon realm?" she asked. "Luo Binghe is busy hugging his Shizun's dead body in Huan Hua Palace, so he knows nothing." MeiRong shook her hand before her as she spoke. "You heard about it too?" Xiuying asked. "Of course! Everyone knows about it." MeiRong picked a record book as she spoke. "Which is why I have received so many orders for the first volume and pre-orders for the second one. If these are not completed soon, I'll probably lose my life at the hands of angry customers." She flipped through some eight pages of the record book filled with names of customers who had placed orders for Mingyan's book. "I knew the story would be a success but it takes about two to three volumes for new authors to be recognized. I did not expect to sell out all copies in such a short time. The reviews are also good."

Mingyan did not know how to react. Tears formed in her eyes. She wanted to speak but her throat felt tight. Xiuying hugged her. "Shijie... we did it..." There were tears in her eyes too. "You will be able to tell everyone the truth now." "It is fate." MeiRong smiled at the two. "Initially, I sold the books by saying it was the story of an actual Master-Disciple duo from Cang Qiong Mountain Sect. But now I believe the Heavens want everyone to know the truth too."

Piling orders meant Mingyan and others had to make more copies of the first volume. It also meant Mingyan had to start working on the second volume of the novel. It was exciting but also overwhelming and stressful. More stationery had to be bought for this work so the girls went to place orders for those right after they left the rouge shop.

A lot of work was waiting for them.