#19 : Threat

The new batch of copies of the first volume of 'Regret Of Chunshan' sold out as soon as it hit the market. It was perfect time to start writing the second volume and keep the buzz going. But then the news came in: Luo Binghe was going to marry the daughter of the Old Palace Master. Xiuying came in running to break the news to Mingyan. "Shizun and all the Peak Lords have received invitations for the wedding." she said. "Other sects are also invited." "If Shizun attends the wedding, I may have to accompany her." said Mingyan. "And our schedule for the second volume will be affected. That won't be good." "Mingyan Shijie, we have a bigger problem." panic was clear in Xiuying's voice. "This wedding may affect the buzz around 'Regret Of Chunshan'." "How so?" asked Mingyan. "The wedding may destroy the image of Luo Binghe that you have managed to create in the first volume." said Xiuying "And if that happens... we won't be able to sell any copies of the second volume. You may even have to shelf the book for good."

. . . shelf the book for good.

It was as if lightning had struck Mingyan. She had poured her heart and soul into this book. So many people had put in hard work to make it... Mingyan couldn't let all that go to waste because of a stupid wedding. "I have to start working on the second volume right away." Mingyan murmured. "Yes! If the second volume comes out before the wedding, we won't have to worry about anything!" "Shijie, the wedding is happening next week. It's impossible to finish writing the first draft of the second volume, let alone seventy final copies." Xiuying sighed. "There's nothing we can do."

But Mingyan was not going to let go. She couldn't sleep that night. Her mind kept racing, trying to figure out how to save her precious book. And then it hit her: the ultimate weapon.

When the day of the wedding arrived, everything went on as usual at Cang Qiong Mountain Sect. Nobody attended the wedding because of the grudge they held against Luo Binghe. Mingyan could continue working on her book without any trouble. She had consulted Chen Meirong on how to deal with this threat to her book and told her the plans she had. Meirong was delighted to hear them and said she could go ahead.

"There are too many steamy scenes in this book. Not much description of their love for each other." Qiaohui gave her views after reading the finished first draft. "It takes away from the story. The book feels like it is just a bunch of sexual scenes." "Tough competition to Luo Binghe's wedding, isn't it?" Mingyan spoke with pride. "Danmei readers crave such things. And if I add a lot of steamy scenes, readers will keep wanting more. They may even forget Binghe's actual wedding." Mingyan chuckled. "But Luo Binghe is a Demon Lord, a Palace Master. Late Peak Lord Shen was alive once upon a time." Qiaohui sighed. "They are actual people." "That's the best part!" Mingyan said excitedly. "Just the idea that two real people could secretly engage in such a taboo act is too much to resist. Readers will devour it! They'll keep wanting more!"  Mingyan's words sent a chill down Qiaohui's spine. She felt as if Mingyan could throw her into a pit and beat her to death for entertainment if she wanted to. She kept the book on a table and left Mingyan's room without a word.

The next day, Liu Qingge visited Xian Shu Peak to meet Mingyan. It was quite a surprise. "I'll be going down the mountains for a while." he said. "Take care of yourself while I am gone." he patted Mingyan's head. Since the day he had returned from Huan Hua Palace, Liu Qingge had lost the vigour he was known for. He had grown absent-minded and sighed a lot. He had spent a lot of time cooped up in his residence so Mingyan was glad to see her brother stepping out and being his usual self. "Gege should take care too." Mingyan smiled. "Where will you be going this time? Has Sect Master Yue assigned you some task?" "I have some personal work in Jinlan City." Liu Qingge replied. "Is Gege going there to secretly meet my sister-in-law?" Mingyan had said it jokingly but the sigh she received in response told her it didn't work. "It's something I should have done a long time ago." Liu Qingge stared in the distance, lost in thought. He had changed a lot within a short span of time. Mingyan hoped with all her heart that her brother would cheer up by the time he returned to the mountains.

Liu Qingge was about to leave when Qiaohui came running to the two siblings. "Peak Lord Liu! You dropped this on your way!" she was panting as she stopped before the two. She held a paper fan before Liu Qingge with both her hands. Mingyan was surprised to find her brother carrying such an elegant accessory. But on looking closely she realized it was Peak Lord Shen's fan! Liu Qingge hurriedly grabbed the fan and placed it in the folds of his robes near his chest. "Th- Thank you very much." he said as he looked away. Qiaohui bowed deeply before him and left.

Eventually, the final version of the second volume was approved and everyone on Xian Shu Peak got to work. This time the number of copies to be made was a lot more because of pre-orders. Days were spent in performing duties and nights were spent in copying and painting. Qiaohui was busy painting under the flickering candlelight with the others when Chuntao came hopping and skipping to her side. She sat beside Qiaohui and watched her for some time. With such a pretty face just gazing at her without a word, Qiaohui found it difficult to focus. "Do you need something?" she asked. "I just wanted to watch Shijie make paintings." Chuntao replied with a smile. Qiaohui's heart skipped a beat. She wiped the sweat on her face and continued to paint. There were other disciples in the room. Thankfully, nobody seemed to have heard Chuntao and they were all busy with their own work.

A few moments went by with Qiaohui trying her very best to steady her trembling hands and Chuntao not taking her eyes off her. Chuntao suddenly touched Qiaohui's face. "Stay away!" Qiaohui swatted the hand away, glaring at Chuntao. The latter shifted backwards, mortified. "Sh- Shijie has some paint on her cheek. I just... wanted to clean it up." she spoke softly. That's when Qiaohui noticed the handkerchief in Chuntao's hand. She looked away and pursed her lips. "I am sorry if I am bothering you." Chuntao's words pricked her heart. "No! You never bother me!" Qiaohui tried to make amends. "How can a pretty Shimei like you bother anyone?" And with that Chuntao was smiling as usual. She handed the handkerchief to Qiaohui. "Shijie can clean up while I bring a little midnight snack." With that she left the room. Qiaohui tenderly held at the handkerchief she had received. She soon remembered there were other people in the room. They were still minding their own business. Qiaohui hid the handkerchief in her robes and resumed her work. She wanted to hide herself like the handkerchief... far away from people's corrupt eyes.