#13 : Truth be told

The air of mourning laid heavily upon Cang Qiong Mountains. Disciples of Xian Shu Peak were given an official account of what happened at Huayue City by Qi Qingqi, but they all gathered around Mingyan and Xiuying at night to know the details. The two girls described the events as accurately as they could, and by the end, everyone was full of anger and resentment.

"Here we were mourning Luo Binghe's death and there that inconsiderate brat was learning demonic cultivation." said one disciple. "So he's part human and part demon?" Chuntao asked. "It seems so." Xiuying replied. "He can use both spiritual energy and demonic energy ." "How is Bai Zhan Peak Lord?" Qiaohui asked. "Gege has locked himself up in his residence since he returned." Mingyan informed. "He wouldn't open the door even for Sect Master Yue." "You too went to Bai Zhan Peak, right? What did he say?" Xiuying asked. "He said he wants to be left alone for some time. He doesn't want to  see or talk to anyone." Mingyan sighed. "He was fond of Peak Lord Shen. His death must have hit him hard. Plus, this was the first time he met an opponent he couldn't defeat." The girls were still in disbelief.

"Is Luo Binghe really that powerful?" one of them asked. "He was gifted in terms of spiritual cultivation. And demonic powers are as it is more effective than spiritual powers." Qiaohui replied. "Demons are born with some level of cultivation. If they cultivate further, they can very well surpass an Immortal Master with years of experience." "It must have been really hard on your Gege." said Chuntao "He has to at least let Peak Lord Mu examine him." "Peak Lord Mu also tried to convince him but..." Mingyan sighed. "How will Peak Lord's Shen's body be retrieved now?" the disciple who spoke in the beginning asked. "No idea." Xiuying replied. "That brat really turned into a whole different person after he returned." the disciple's voice was full of hatred. "He won't let his Shizun rest even after his death! What a wicked disciple!" "He's a demon after all." said another one. "They show their true colours eventually." "Peak Lord Shen didn't even get to clear his name." Xiuying sighed. "And he's being held hostage even after death." "I hope Sect Master Yue retrieves Master Shen's body as soon as possible and teaches that demon brat a lesson." The angry disciple spoke.

Mingyan was surprised and disappointed to see that no one saw what she saw. Even Xiuying who had witnessed the events with her thought Luo Binghe was a bad person who had done wrong to his Shizun and to the entire Jianghu. When Mingyan returned to her room, she sat at her table, picked a fresh paper and brush, and began writing. They were all so wrong. They had misunderstood a lot of things. She couldn't let the love between the Master-disciple duo be forgotten so easily. It would be a shame to let these tender feelings be washed away by waves of hatred. She wanted to record and preserve their story. She wanted people to know their story, to understand them, and empathize with them.

At the next weekly meeting, Mingyan read her retelling of the events at Huayue City as a tragic love story of a Master and his disciple. Two men who were deeply in love with each other, who secretly pined for each other, but were cruelly separated by fate. She wrote all the pain she had seen in their eyes that day, all the misunderstandings they had between them, and all the love they expressed for each other as they parted ways. By the end of her story her audience was in shock. "Mingyan Shijie, is- is this true?" Qiaohui asked. "Did they really have feelings for each other?" Mingyan nodded affirmatively. "How can you say that?" Xiuying asked. "I was with you that day. I didn't see anything of this sort. What proof do you have?" "I have been observing them since the day the Demons attacked our Sect years ago." Everyone paid close attention to Mingyan as she told them her observations over the years and how she saw parallels between those two and all the Danmei that she had read.

"If all this is true then... Luo Binghe must be feeling miserable right now..." Qiaohui broke into tears. Chuntao had never seen her cry, even in the worst possible situations. Qiaohui was the one who calmed down others when they cried. "Shijie... please don't cry." she said in a confused tone. "I'll also feel like crying." Tears were already streaming down her cheeks. Seeing Chuntao care about her, Qiaohui felt warmth in her heart. It helped her get over her emotional outburst. "Shijie won't cry anymore." she said. "Wipe your tears. I'll be seen as a bad Shijie if I make my pretty Shimei cry." Chuntao immediately wiped her tears and smiled. "Qiaohui Shijie is nice person." she said. "I won't let that change because of me." Qiaohui looked away to hide the pink on her face.

Almost everyone present was sniffling after Mingyan finished talking. "What a cruel fate they have met!" said the disciple who had called Binghe 'a brat'. "Love between Master and disciple, and love between two men, both are forbidden. How could they dare to express themselves?" "They must have silently suffered so much!" said another one. "No wonder they looked at each other with painful expressions when they met at Jinlan City." said Xiuying. "No wonder Binghe didn't want to return his Shizun's body." "I wonder if they ever told each other about their feelings." said one disciple. "I don't think so." said Mingyan. "If they had they wouldn't have had so many misunderstandings between them." That made some girls cry even more. "How cruel! How cruel can the world be? How cruel can fate be? To separate two lovers who pined to be together. How cruel!" one of the girls couldn't help but cry her feelings out.

"I want everyone to know this truth." Mingyan declared. "I want the Jianghu to know that Luo Binghe is still a dedicated disciple, and Peak Lord Shen was a loving, caring Master. I want people to know their love for each other, so that they throw away their misunderstandings about the two." "And how do you plan on doing that?" Xiuying asked.

"I'll write and publish their love story, but with a happy ending." said Mingyan.