twenty-one

My shaking hand reached for my phone that was lighting up beside me, the bright light making me squint my eyes.

"Hello?" I said quietly into the phone.

"Hey." Normani's voice rang through and, despite me feeling like shit, I smiled. "Are you okay? I haven't heard from you all day."

"Yeah." I answered just as quietly. "Cramps." I simply stated.

"Oh no." She said. "Is there anything I can do?"

I bit my lip slightly, placing my hand over my arm, feeling a slight shiver run through me. "I need hugs." I whispered.

She was quiet for a bit. "Of course." She then answered. "We were out running some errands, do you want us to pick you up and you can come to our place?"

"Yes please." I said quietly. I liked their place, it was more homey than mine and had more character. And it wasn't as lonely.

"Alright, we'll be there in a few."

"Okay, see you." I smiled and then hung up when she said she'd see me too.

I groaned, realizing I'd have to stand up and go outside. I forced my feet on the ground, slipping on my slides, not bothering changing out of my black sweats and gray t-shirt. I threw on some sunglasses, putting my glasses in my bag, and crouched down by the front door, the cramps going through my stomach and down my legs. Then a shiver went up my spine. And I felt immense relief when my phone made a 'ding' sound, signaling that Normani was out front.

Normani's P.O.V.

Anna walked slowly out of the building, like she was in pain. Instead of her usual glasses, she had a pair of sunglasses on and her hair was held up at the back of her head with a clip. Her skin that usually had a tan that she worked for looked pale, even in the sun.

I noticed Dinah and Ally look at her just like I did, a little lost.

"Hey." She said as she sat in the back seat with Ally, her usual loud voice replaced by a soft murmur.

"Hey." We all replied in unison.

Dinah turned more in her seat, her teeth biting down on her lover lip. "How do you feel?"

"Like a vampire." She managed a smile and I felt something tug at my heart. The girls laughed slightly and I started the car, heading to our house. "Where are the rest?"

"They took a separate car." Ally answered. "They're going to meet us at home."

"Oh okay." Anna said and leaned her head against the headrest.

She was quiet during the drive, which was unusual. I kept glancing at her in the rearview mirror and noticed goosebumps on her arms. I saw Dinah look back at her too a few times.

Anna didn't move when we pulled up to the house. I turned off the car and exited it after Ally and Dinah. I opened Anna's door and shook her slightly. She let out a soft sound and sat up.

"Hey." I said, my voice soft. "We're here."

"Ugh." She groaned as she left the car too. "I have to go to the bathroom."

I walked slowly with her up to the house and watched her make her way to the bathroom. I just frowned and grabbed a water bottle then went to the living room. Dinah and Ally had probably gone upstairs and the rest hadn't arrived yet. I sat down on the sofa, where Anna and I usually sat, and turned on the TV.

I heard shuffling and I turned my head towards the entrance of the living room. It was Anna, and she whined when she saw me. "That's my spot."

I just laughed. She had replaced her sunglasses with her regular glasses. She made her way over to me and slumped down on my body. "Ow." I laughed and she smiled. She had ended up between my legs, her head on my stomach and one of her arms around my waist. She closed her eyes and sighed, taking the glasses off her face and putting them beside us.