twenty-six

Normani's P.O.V.

"Normani, your phone is ringing!" My mom yelled up the stairs.

"Who is it?!"

"Anna!"

"Answer it, I'm coming!" I yelled back, put on my top and started towards her.

"You're not Normani!" A loud voice said.

"And you're not Anna." I heard my mom's voice when I approached her, her eyes showing confusion.

"What?" I muttered and looked over her shoulder. A blonde with a vaguely familiar face was staring at the phone. She grinned when she saw me.

"There she is! Hi!" She had a slight accent, like Anna, but it was different. Anna's was endearing and came out with the strangest words, but it was sexy somehow.

"Hi." I smiled.

"Who's that?" My mom asked me.

"Anna's best friend." I said. Her name was Ísold. When I told Anna that I'd never remember it, she told me to think of Tristan and Iseult. So now I always knew.

Suddenly there was loud banging and some muffled yelling. Ísold said something I couldn't understand, then groaned, then I heard a door open and there was loud music and voices. Then I heard Anna's voice, saying something, then a door shut and everything got quieter. They seemed to argue a little then the phone was grabbed and Anna's face appeared.

She was smiling widely but then her smile fell and her eyes peered a little. I felt my mouth go a little dry at the sight of her.

"Hi Anna, it's nice to see you." My mom said and smiled.

"Hi." She simply said and I furrowed my brow.

"Hi." I said too and smiled.

"Hi." She said again.

"Isn't it late for you?" My mom asked her. "What are you up to?"

Anna was still just staring at the phone. "Uhm." She then said and her friend laughed loudly beside her. I took my phone out of my mom's hand and started walking away as Anna said something.

I smiled as she laughed and walked into my bedroom, jumping on my bed. Anna seemed to focus back on the phone when I did that.

"Are you alone?" She asked.

"Yup." I smiled. "Why?"

She then pulled the phone close to her face. "Normani." She whispered, but I heard it loudly because her mouth was just beside the receiver. "I'm super drunk right now." Then she giggled and I laughed.

"Oh my god." I shook my head. "Of course you are."

"What do you mean of course?" She giggled again and it was then when I noticed she was slurring a bit. That or her accent had gotten more intense during the couple days she was there.

"It's your first weekend back right?" I smiled. "So I'm just waiting for you to post another picture with your ass out."

"Oh!" Anna's eyes got wide and she gasped as she just realized something. "Hang on." She handed Ísold the phone and shuffled around.

"So Normani, excited to experience Iceland? Experience the party scene?" Ísold said and wiggled her eyebrows. She then laughed loudly and the phone lowered slightly. She was looking at something off camera and her lower lip was caught between her teeth.

Then they started speaking Icelandic again and I only caught a few words. Most of them were fuck and then come on.

"I'm like super confused right now." I spoke and that seemed to catch their attention.