4

Sophie would have gasped if she hadn't felt like all the air was sucked out of her lungs. Everything in her body screamed at her to push him away, but the way her heart started racing made her stay still. Images flashed the her mind of all the times they had seen each other, some good and some bad. But the rushing settled on a single memory. Alvar stood in front of the gate at Everglen holding Fitz's bandage above the sensor, Sophie was begging him not to do it and his face was utterly heart broken. Somehow she felt that maybe, just maybe, if she hadn't mentioned his family he may have listened to her. And so Sophie did the last thing she could have expected from herself.

She kissed him back.

Alvar put his had on the back of her head and tangled his fingers in her hair as his mouth continued to move against hers. She leaned in closer and put a hand on his face, slowly running a finger over the faint scars he still had. Finally he pulled away and the both gasped for air.

"Wow." He muttered.

"And just how long have you been wanting to do that?" She asked with a smirk.

"Awhile." He said and chuckled.

Her face slowly fell as other memories started to surface.

"Why?" She muttered.

He looked at her confused.

"Why what?" He asked and put a hand on the side of her face.

When she looked at him there were tears in her eyes.

"Why did you kidnap and torture me? Why did you betray us in Ravagog? Why did you kidnap my family? Why-" Her voice broke as she began to cry.

Alvar didn't know what to say. He leaned back and let out a shaky breath.

"I've done a lot of shitty things in my life. And I know that deep down you can never forgive me for them. You'll never forget how much I hurt you. And I know that no apology can make up for any of it, but I hope that one day we can put it in the past. And I can wait for however long that takes, but just know, that I will always love you. No matter what." He said and pulled her into a hug.

Sophie exhaled shakily and looked up to meet his eyes.

"But what about the-" She began but he cut her off.

"I was thinking, before I came here. I could work as a double agent." He concluded.

Sophie pulled away from the hug. She thought for a moment.

"Ok." She whispered and looked at him.

"I can't forgive you. I don't know if I ever will. But what I can do is start from here. And put that behind us." She said and smiled weakly.

Alvar leaned in again and softly kissed her. Her lips had a salty taste from her tears and his were chapped and dry. They were both had their differences but maybe, just maybe, they could put that aside. For love.

Sorry it's short... But luckily I've started the next chapter! Still have no idea how long it will be until it comes out but I'll try my best 😅.