Chapter 18

As we enter the cafeteria everyone stares at us as they go quiet.

"What the hell is going on?" Dani questions quietly as we go to a table.

"I have no idea," the five of us look around as Jack shrugs.

"Think it has something to do with Leo?" Riley suggests.

"Whatever the reason. It's fucking creepy!" Dani raises her voice as she says the last bit, so everyone can hear her.

"Speaking of Leo, he's not here. Neither is Kayla," I tell them.

"Maybe they got sick?" Lizzy shrugs.

"I don't think so," Dani says. Kayla has never missed a day of school. Even when she was sick. She just wore a mask. She even threatened to sue the school if they tried getting her to leave, once."

"The only way she would ever miss school is if she physically can't go," Jack adds.

"Think it's something serious?" by now the cafeteria has gone back to the noisy place of students talking and eating.

"If she isn't back tomorrow, then I think it's serious."

We talk about random stuff until the bell rings and we all go to our classes. After school we go our separate ways after agreeing to hang out tomorrow.

"Hey," Olivia says from the couch with Bree as Lizzy and I come in. Sarah is sleeping across both their laps.

"Hey," Lizzy and I say as we take our shoes off.

As we step further into the house Olivia and Bree become more visible. Olivia's hair is shaved on one side and a single blue streak in the front.

"Nice hair," Lizzy says as we join them on the couch.

"You look like a blond version of Skipper," I smile.

"Shut up," Olivia shoves me lightly.

"Don't get me wrong," I put my hands up in surrender. "It looks cool. I'm just stating a fact."

"Whatever," we all chuckle and watch the show that Olivia and Bree were watching.

After a while we go out to the trails to see if I can change into what I intend to. I get it a few times but all the others it's what I don't want.

I try to get used to the wolf as best I can, but it still feels awkward. I've had seven years of knowing how to maneuver as a dragon. How am I supposed to get the hang of being a wolf before Shawn pulls more shit?!

The next day goes by quickly until lunch. As we sit in the cafeteria everyone watches us again. Like we did something extremely stupid and they all saw it.

"Kayla and Leo aren't here again," Dani points out quietly.

"After school we should stop by her house, see if she's there," Riley shrugs.

"Does anyone know where she lives?" Jack questions.

"I do. I took her home after the whole thing in the trials the other night," I explained what happened to them but I must not have mentioned that I drove her back to her house.

"Oh, yeah," Dani nods.

"Is it true?" some guy comes over and looks directly at me and Lizzy. I think his name is Simon or something like that. Maybe, Theo? I have no idea.

We look at each other in confusion before I ask, "is what true?"

"You don't know what's been going around?" we all shake our heads. He pulls out his phone and taps around for a few seconds before speaking again. "Someone posted these on Twitter saying it was you and someone you live with." He turns his phone to us to show three images. Two of them are on top while one sits below.