four

------ four ------

------ four ------

"Rise and shine. We're in hell."

That was how it felt, at least. Grace felt alone and loneliness was hell. It wasn't like she actually was alone this time. She was surrounded by eight other girls. Yet, she didn't feel connected to anyone. Sure, Shelby and her had been friends when they were thirteen, and Grace knew and liked Dot, but she wasn't close with either of them.

In a way, the blonde had envied Toni and Martha. They went on this journey together as best friends. Before the crash Toni's first instinct was to turn to Martha, hugging the girl. They did that a lot, hugging each other for comfort. Neither of them was alone and Grace doubted either of them felt lonesome.

When it came to Rachel and Nora however, who had known each other their entire life, they were different to Toni and Martha. They were as lonely as the rest of them. They didn't hug, or exchange words of comfort. Instead it was Rachel who mostly pushed Nora away. She still blamed her on everything.

The only one who managed to drift into a deep slumber the night before was Fatin, who was the only one still sleeping quietly too. Maybe a bit too quiet even.

"Fatin," Dot shook her awake, making sure she was still breathing. Grace caught a quick glance at the brunette's face. It was hilarious.

"What the... what the fuck? I was sleeping," she spoke annoyed and still half asleep. It made the blonde figure that Fatin Jadmani wasn't a morning person, not that had thought of her as one before.

"Yeah, well, I thought you were dead, dick," Dot defended in an equally bad mood, making Fatin go back to sleep, after pulling her hoodie over her face again. Grace just watched the scene amusedly from the side.

"6, 7..." Shelby counted, when she realised something. "People, we're missing one person." She was frightened as was the rest of them. Grace was already contemplating about what might have happened to the missing  girl, when as if on cue, Leah appeared from behind the rocks.

Leah Rilke looked roughened up and defeated, guilty almost. But more importantly, she held a black, sketchy phone in her left hand. "It's Jeanette's," she spoke up, after staring blankly at the others. Then, turning around going back to the girl's grave, the rest following behind.

"It was in her pocket," Leah explained as they all stood around the makeshift grave "I heard it ringing but it didn't seem real. Not that anything does anymore. So, I followed the sound and I, um..." She had to stop, not wanting to think of what she had done next. Not even finding the right words.

"You frisked a dead body," Dot finished for her. Leah nodding in unsettling silence. Grace herself was disturbed by the thought of Leah having to search a corpse for a phone, not wanting to imagine how the brunette herself must have felt. And if that all weren't enough, she did it all in vain.