seventeen

------ seventeen ------

A shrill scream escaped Grace's lips. The vodka hurt like hell. It made a stinging sensation run through her body. Yet, it was just as efficient as it was painful. Dot continued to disinfect the deep wound with the burning liquid as the blonde clung onto Toni for support.

"Everything is fine. I'm already finished," Dot confirmed, while putting a clean piece of fabric around her thigh to stop the dirt from entering the wound and causing an infection. Still there was worry drawn all across the Texan's face. "What the fuck even happened?" she asked, her eyes on Toni.

"Bumped into a tree and almost fell over the edge of a cliff," Grace answered in her stead, her voice consumed by exhaustion. From the corner of her eye, she could see Shelby sending the brunette dirty looks. "It wasn't her fault, Shel," she clarified. Of course, the pageant queen would think it was Toni's fault, she was the one who shoved half a tree in her face.

Yet the blonde kept on staring at the basketball player who was too focused on the cheerleader to even realise. And while Shelby was looking at Toni, Leah directed all her anger at the girl. She just couldn't drop the subject. For her it wasn't over.

So just as Nora's grasp around her loosened, the girl pushed her aside, lunging at Shelby. "Where are you going, Shelby? Where do you sneak off to every morning and every night, and what the fuck is happening on this island?" She took the blonde by her jacket. Shelby was terrified, shaking and trembling out of fear.

"Okay, yes. Maybe I am!" the Texan cried as the rest just let the scene unfold in front of them. She took out the dentures, showing them - her biggest insecurity - to the girls. "Happy?" she asked, holding them up, looking right at Leah's dumbfounded expression. "This is it. The big secret. I am a freak who wears my teeth on a piece of plastic, and I'm not sneaking off as part of some dirty scheme!

"All right, I've been cleaning this thing as privately as possible like I've done since I was eleven years old. Does that sorta answer your question?" She paused. "Or if not, I could give you a better look," Shelby continued, opening her mouth widely. But instead of doing what the blonde had proposed to her, Leah looked down in shame, not saying another word.

The blonde's pained expression made Grace forget about her pain for a second. She didn't like seeing the girl suffer, although she had hurt her a great lot. Shelby fought the tears as she put the dentures back in. Before storming off however, she gave the group one last glance. "All right, then. Guess, y'all know everything now. I'm a fake bitch with dentures. Just one more reason to hate me."

"Not that you needed any more," she directed at Toni who stood there just as shocked as Leah. Her gaze followed the blonde, realising that Grace had been right, Shelby was more than met the eye.

"Nice. Nice job," Rachel commented when Shelby was already away, before everyone but Leah went on with their work. Instead the brunette remained rooted on the spot, thinking about what she had just done. Regret was written all across her face. Her ocean eyes held guilt.