Chapter 38: Looking for him

The dry forest received us in a good way. Max had insisted on moving us in one of his trucks. I would have laughed if he ran out of fuel and energy, but only if I were not about to die of pain.

He drove slowly, observing the forest, and I didn't know if he was impressed by its beauty or looking for an attacker. I only remembered the forest enchanted me while Sirius looked so in tune with its wildness.

"Well, guide me," my unwanted traveling companion asked.

"Isn't it important that you're in town with everything happening?" I asked uncomfortably.

"No, my brother is also in charge."

I huffed in frustration.

"Perfect," I exclaimed sarcastically.

"So... What will be your starting point?"

"Go to his city," I barely murmured. "I want to see if his friends help me with their fine noses."

Deneb and Rigel. I hoped they could help me and not rush to kill me for letting Sirius be taken away. My hope was with them for now.

"Um, good point. Fortunately, my brother saved the route when he took his father. And this baby can handle rough terrain," he declared as he left the driveway.

Getting there would take maybe one hour or much less. I was not good at calculating the time on the move. I looked out the window with my eyes lost in nothingness until a loud noise made me jump in my seat. Max had turned on the radio, putting on some music, if that could be called that.

"Come on," I demanded. "Something less noisy, please?"

He snapped his teeth and searched for something else.

I looked at myself in the rearview mirror on the side of the car. I was still a mess, but it didn't matter anymore. I laid my head on the seat and fell asleep for a few seconds. Crying was exhausting, and I was a first-class crybaby.

"I asked my brother to reveal other recordings to see what happened," he commented, interrupting my little sleep. "Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were sleeping..."

I leaned back in the seat after sighing.

***

"You're good?" a beautiful deep voice asked me.

I opened my eyes and found his greens, beautiful as ever. I sighed deeply with relief.

"Bad dreams," I answered in a whisper. "You had left without me..."

"Don't be sad. It's over. It was just a dream." He caressed me. "Everything is fine. I'm here, see?"

My chest hurt, but it would pass soon. It was the aftermath of the bad dream. Wow, just a horrid nightmare. I felt the brush of his lips on my cheek and smiled. Oh, how I had missed that even though I had only slept! It seemed like it had been an eternity. I straddled him, surprising him a little, but he smiled right away. That heavenly smile. He sat down, and we were nose to nose.

But... He was gone...

I shook my head at that strange thought. Of course not. He was here. This couldn't be a hallucination. I hugged him and took a deep breath but couldn't quite detect his delicious scent. It didn't matter. He was here...

A slight jolt woke me up. I frowned, refusing to open my eyes and get out of that beautiful dream, but the noise of the truck's engine entered my ears, bringing me faster to reality. I took a deep breath and held it to stop the sharp pain that hit me.