Chapter 4: They want the toxin

I started getting my pajamas ready in my room, and I was prepared to sleep after a few minutes. Someone knocked on my door, and I went to open it. Rosy was there.

"I came to see you three times; where were you?"

"Why the urgency?" I replied.

She looked at me suspiciously.

"Just curious. I didn't find you the other night either."

I snorted and started fixing my bed.

"Is nothing."

"Are you seeing someone?" She smiled, feeling close to the answer.

"Of course not," but the tone of voice didn't help me.

The girl opened her eyes wide.

"Anthony," she whispered, making me nervous. I had screwed it up.

"No..." She shot out of my room, and I followed her right away.

I found her knocking on his door, so I approached and took her arm to get her out of there, but the door opened before we could disappear.

There he was in front of us, with a bare torso, wearing only pants. I blushed in shame, and sure Rosy was the same. He was really tall and of standard build, but his muscles were well-marked and toned. I was surprised; he was in good shape. 

Broad shoulders, narrow hips. What a man. We had been dumbfounded like two complete idiots for a couple of seconds. Our career involved seeing naked bodies often, but I hadn't been in front of... Well, one alive, where I could feel the heat even without touching.

"Is everything okay?" he asked.

"Sorry," Rosy said, smiling at him. "Wrong door."

She pushed me, and we ran back to my room like two crazy people. After entering, she closed the door and stared at me in surprise.

"Are you sleeping with him?" she asked, almost horrified.

"God, of course not!" I exclaimed.

"Do you like him?"

I shook my head in denial. It didn't feel right seeing her worried about those things. Affairs had no place in the current situation, and I couldn't afford to feel anything. Humanity was facing something serious. There was no time for meaningless love or to start acting in childish ways.

"Maybe he likes you."

"Seriously, Rosy?"

"I see him looking at you nonstop," she insisted.

"Rosy... Nothing happens, okay? Good night." I tensed my lips. "Listen... Yes, maybe I feel kinda attracted..."

"I knew it!" She jumped.

"But it's nothing. I'm a professional!" I rushed to explain, for her not to make a fuss. "I'm an adult woman," I tried to convince myself.

Rosy smiled mischievously.

"Well, let's see. I let you rest," she told me in a better mood.

I smiled at her, we hugged, and she left.

***

The moon was high in the sky. I was walking down a dark street, bright eyes looked after my back, and somehow, I felt safe. I suddenly stopped when I heard a low growl...

I opened my eyes. Ugh, another of those dreams.

The horrible grunts still rumbled in my head; I had heard them so much that night of the attack that my brain reproduced them perfectly in my nightmares. I sighed and looked at the ceiling. I only dreamed nonsense.