Chapter 8: To the Capital

Anthony already had my backpack on his back and offered me a slight smile. My aunt handed us two food containers and gave me some special pills that counteracted drugs like those used by security guards to sedate the evolved people.

"Thank you," we both said.

"Sorry for the inconvenience," I added.

"Don't worry. Please let me know when you arrive in the capital."

"Yes, I'll do it when I can."

We said goodbye, left the house, and walked a few blocks.

"I think I have something for you." I took out my sunglasses.

"Why?" he wanted to know.

"Your eyes..."

"Uh, sure." He put them on, and I smiled.

"You look great!"

"Well, I'm not used to having something on my face."

"Oh, you'll handle it."

I patted him gently on the shoulder, and we continued our way to the city exit. The guards would think we were trying to kill ourselves by leaving, but we wouldn't be the first to do so, so it wasn't a problem. Getting out of the city was another new form of suicide. However, the extremists also liked to travel on foot and thus prove themselves. There was everything.

"So... You ran away, huh?" I wanted to know more about him.

"Yes."

"Won't they try to find you?"

"No. They are not interested in what each one does, almost." Almost? "I hadn't planned on ending up trapped. That night I thought about my disappointed mother... "

"You see? Your mom does care about you," I reproached him.

"No, she... I shouldn't dishonor her anymore, that's all." Dishonor her. What the heck was he referring to? "Don't worry about those things. Then, you showed up, and, as I told you before, I think you are different, so it didn't bother me when you came closer." He barely smiled. "And you kept looking for me day by day..."

I blushed and smiled too.

"You were making me curious." Then, I remembered something else. "Julio said he had seen your pupils," I commented.

"Yes. I made that mistake. They were small and round, but sometimes they returned to their natural shape because my transition phase had just started. When I woke up, a couple of days had passed, so you no longer saw them and didn't believe him." He laughed lightly.

I laughed with him.

"Yes, poor Julio. He might be thinking he had hallucinated."

"What about you?" He looked at me. "Did you suspect something?"

"Not at the beginning... I like y" I stopped talking. I didn't know how much they knew about liking. It seemed that he didn't know much so far. "I thought the color of your eyes was too dazzling to be normal."

"Do you like my eyes?" 

There was a particular amusement in his question, and I noticed that he did know what it was to 'like,' but of course, not if he knew the romantic way.

"Yes, I like them," I replied and winked at him.

I could see his cheeks presented a slight blush, and his lips curved into a smile.

"I think I like that you like them. I thought they scared you," he commented.

It was the first time I had detected any shyness in his soft low voice, and it was the first time I had made him blush. I smiled happily.