Chapter 20: Forever

The birds sang non-stop in the trees. I listened to a conversation and some dishes moving from earlier and then fell asleep a little more. They apparently had a habit of starting the day before the sun rose. Oh wow.

A knock on my door made me react.

"One second!"

"Don't worry. I just wanted to let you know that breakfast is ready," Sirius said.

Oh my...

"I'll be right away, thank you!"

I had to get ready at full speed. What a shame!

I looked at the garden, and I got scared to see his mother watering some bushes. She looked at me askance. Confused, I waved at her, and she only managed to nod and leave.

I was frozen. Would she have noticed that I kissed her son last night and wanted to ensure that I did nothing to him when he came to talk to me?

I felt my face start to burn with shame, although maybe I was already getting paranoid.

***

To my surprise, the twins were in the living room.

"Hello, good morning," I greeted them.

"Good morning," they both replied at the same time.

"We wanted to say bye," said one of them.

"Come have breakfast," asked Sirius's mother.

"No, thank you, we already had breakfast," they both answered again.

I put the backpack on the ground and heard a noise as if a glass object had landed. I opened the bag and looked at the bottom. It was a bottle of milk. There was still one left? I had been so concerned with wrapping them tightly in clothes that I had not seen it.

"Hey guys," I told them. "Do you want to try this?"

They both planted their different colored eyes on the bottle. I turned to see Sirius, and he was looking at it too.

"Well, I will distribute it in equal quantities."

Sirius's mother put three glasses before I could stand up to get them.

"Thank you," I said with a smile.

I poured the milk into the glasses, ensuring that neither had more than the other, and I gave it to them. Sirius drank it right away. The twins brought their glasses to their lips, paused for a few seconds, and tasted them. They both looked at each other in admiration and drank again.

"Great, what is it?" asked one of them.

"It's cow's milk. I don't know why you don't sell it here." 

"They only drink their mother's milk for a while," said Enif. We all turned to see her. "After that, they never hear from it again. Strangely, humans mass produce something that is not meant for them. We hope that those animals don't suffer unnecessarily."

I got impressed.

"Well, I know it's not for us, but... we have been consuming it for millennia, to tell the truth, and no, animals don't suffer. They must be comfortable to give milk, like all animals."

Enif nodded with a slight movement of the head.

***

We started the trip. I felt delighted when I finally saw that Enif hugged her son and pressed her forehead to his, and somehow when she looked at me to say goodbye, I felt that she also thanked me. She gave us some food, and we left home.