Chapter 32: The night is just beginning

I rubbed the skin of his hand with my thumb and looked into his eyes, those predator's eyes. He was tenderly smiling at me with closed lips, which took me by surprise. Memories of the night invaded me. I blushed and took a deep breath.

"So..." I glanced briefly at my hand holding his and returned to his eyes. "Look, I'm not jealous, but... Who is she?"

He smiled fleetingly, showing off his short fangs, and my mind was flooded with memories again. The scratches on my lips and the rest of my body stabbed slightly. I took another deep breath as he began to explain.

"She has been a friend since I was younger." He shrugged. "For being small and fearful, others enjoyed teasing her until I found out and gave them what they deserved." He looked out the window towards the training ground we could observe from here and saw me again. "From that moment on, I sometimes walked with her, accompanying her. I taught her to defend herself little by little. The teachers found out, and they had me as the favorite in fights, in addition to being trained by Orion."

I snorted and raised an eyebrow.

"And Ursa took you away from her," I commented.

He smiled with embarrassment.

"Well, I didn't know that, but I do know there is a rule among girls that old women teach them about: if a guy has a future union already agreed, the girls should move away. Which I think is a bit of a stretch. Also, nothing is official until the parents agree, so..."

I chuckled.

"Wow. They set aside and take care of their men like lionesses."

"Hey, I'm only yours," he assured, taking my face and caressing my cheek.

I blushed. It was true. I already had everything of him to myself. What more did I want?

"Sorry. It's just that it became very obvious to me that she... Nothing." But I remembered those words didn't work with him. I sighed.

"She what?" he asked, confused.

Didn't he realize that she was in love with him?

"She appreciates you very much. You were her friend." I shrugged, uncomfortable. "And, well, she doesn't like Ursa for having to walk away from you for her sake."

He gestured, accepting what I had said, considering it true.

"Yes, maybe..." He glanced at the window, looked back at me, and smiled sweetly. "I thought you were upset because I didn't tell her I joined you."

"Oh no. Don't worry, I understand. You must have your reasons," I said, ashamed.

"Because of the state she's in, I didn't think it was convenient for her to assimilate the fact that an evolved could unite with a human," he explained, keeping that slight and sweet smile. "But everyone is going to have to know sooner or later."

I nodded. What a fool I was, worrying about people who judged me for a relationship with him without considering that he was in the same situation. He was the evolved man who had bonded with a human.

"You're a very good person," I murmured. "That's why they appreciate you... and so am I. I do love you very much." I let out a long sigh, shaking off my slight tension. "You are a natural protector, huh?" 

He leaned down and brought his forehead to mine.

"Maybe, but now I'm here to protect you and give you everything in my power." He separated.

"By the way," I said after smiling like a teenage girl in love. "What is going on with Max?"

"Er..." He scratched the back of his neck. "I know. He's upset, but I'm not paying attention to him. It's that yesterday I ran away and threatened him."