Novelle

We arrived back at their camp, there was a girl about my age attending a small fire, and about three tents. There was a cooler box for food storage off to the side. The girl's eyes immediately went to mine. She was confused, but a woman went to her and explained a few things. The motioned to a large log near the fire, and I sat down on it silently.

          It was silent for a while, my eyes drifted into the forest. Phantom's gleaming white eyes shone down at me from high in the trees. I slowly looked away as to not draw attention.

          "So, how did you get out here?" The man finally asked. What was I supposed to tell him?

          Oh, my monster who just saved my city flew me over to the mountains so we could get a magic crystal to save another poisoned monster. Not a big deal.

I stayed silent for a minute and finally answered.

          "We- I got lost." My voice was quiet, I finally noticed how cold I was after feeling the warmth of the fire. I brought my arms up to my chest and placed my feet up a little hight on the log, trying to contain body warmth.

          "You look cold, I'll get you a blanket. Are you okay? Where's your family?" The man got up and went to one of then tents. I felt very overwhelmed by all the eyes on me, but I assumed I had to make up a believable story.

          "I'm okay, I have a sprained ankle, but I'm fine. My family and I came here from Citera to camp out. I got lost, they're probably miles from here." I explained. As long as he didn't ask how I got lost, I'd be fine.

          The man came back, and had a large, fuzzy blanket with him. He handed it to me, and I wrapped it around myself.

          "I'm sorry to hear that. We'll help you get to town and find your family there, does that sound okay?" He asked. I nodded, my eyes getting lost in the bright fire. "I'm Micheal, that there is Novelle," He said, pointing to the girl my age. He pointed to the two women sitting across from me, "That's Miranda and Sabrina," He then pointed to the man on the other side of me, "And that's Alec." I smiled at them and nodded as he spoke.

          Eventually, I felt very uncomfortable and looked back into the forest.

          "Can I go into the forest? I find it calming when I'm anxious or worried..." I said. It wasn't quite a lie, but it sounded a little weird. Micheal nodded with a smile and I hopped up quickly, leaving the blanket limp on the log behind me.

          I headed towards Phantom's unblinking eyes, which were impossible to see if you weren't looking for them. I heard a few voices from behind me after I left, but I paid no attention. Once I was out of earshot I called for Phantom, who I had lost while walking over.

          I saw his silhouette slink down a tree and look down at me, still clinging to the trunk. "I think they're our best bet. If I have to go anywhere with them, follow me from above in the trees, okay?" Phantom nodded silently. "Once they leave me, I might be in the city, I'll try my best to get near the forest, okay?" Once again he nodded, but with a purr this time.

         Phantom's eyes shut and I barely saw him slither back up the tree, I was confused, I turned around but only saw Novelle standing a few feet away from me. She took a step closer and smiled sheepishly.

          "Um, so maybe my dad asking you everything isn't working, you wanna talk about what happened?" I was instantly relieved, knowing she didn't see Phantom. I laughed weakly, placing my hand behind my neck.

          "I don't know. It isn't a big deal, really. It's nice of you to care though." I said.

          Novelle pushed her long blonde hair behind her ear and wrapped her arms around herself, shivering.