Fortune Teller

As we arrived back home, I started thinking about what Phantom had said, and replayed the words in my mind.

'We need to make sure that law doesn't ever become a real one'

I sighed, placing my backpack on the floor next to my desk, and then took out a book for schoolwork I had to do. I worked for about an hour until I finished, and was called for dinner twenty minutes after. Dad was still at work per usual and Jean had made a lazy dinner with her dark hair tied in a bun- it was always in that style. I don't think I would recognize her if it wasn't in the bun. I skipped dinner as usual and went back to my room.

I sat back in my desk chair and sighed heavily. I looked out my window at the setting sun and saw that it had started raining. I thought about what we might need to do to stop that law from becoming official, but then again, the government has never spoken about it. Maybe it might never become a law.

I decided I might as well check the news, I doubt anything on this matter will be on, and if it was, that would be a massive coincidence. I clicked on the TV and turned to the news channel. There stood the reporter at her desk, and upon reading the headlines, I almost jumped out of my skin.

My blood ran cold as I saw that apparently a monster had escaped and had been attacking people while they slept, and some people were killed. The reporter began saying how it will become an official law that you kill your monster as they might become as savage as this one.

No. Way. This can't be happening- monsters are actually... monsters?!

I thought. I got up and locked my door, and checked out the window- too dark for anyone to see inside.

"PHANTOM!" I whisper-shouted from in the middle of my room. This time, he came out of the closet.

He tilted his head at me curiously. I was almost afraid of him going nuts and attacking me- but I pushed that idea away. "Apparently someone's monster is getting loose in the middle of the night and keeps attacking people. Do you have any idea of why this is happening?" I asked him. Phantom pondered for a bit, seeming a little perplexed at the situation.

No. I don't have the slightest idea. In fact, this shouldn't be possible. For a monster to leave their human and go around hurting other people is like... well to put it in the easiest way, it's like breaking the law, because if it does, the persons actual monster has every right to attack and kill the monster on the loose. So I don't know why they would go around hurting other people. Makes no sense to me.

He meowed and purred for an answer. I paced for a second.

          "Phantom they will make it an official law if this continues. That monster has no reason to hurt other people, so there must be something telling it to do that. I don't know much about monsters of course, but they seem like pretty intelligent creatures. Ones that can speak in any language they want, have powers which they have to learn to control, and can allow only certain people to hear them. There must be a logical explanation for this." I said. And then something in my brain clicked.

I ran over to my bed where my phone lay, and snatched it up, instantly dialing Kacey's number. Phantom watched in curiosity and eventually Kacey picked up. I interrupted Kacey before she could even say hello. "Kacey." I said sternly, "You know how you always go to that fortune teller? Can she tell me about something I don't even know about?" I asked, trying to sound normal. She seemed to hesitate before she spoke.

          "Uhh, yeah, I think so." Her voice crackled through the phone. "Wait, why? Oh my god did I finally persuade you into going? Can I come? I knew you would-" I cut her off.