Battle at Mt. Pyriten

I had already given in to the darkness below me, the sound of being underwater had always calmed me. Everything was silent, and the darkness around me engulfed me as I drifted away, but I heard something- something that disturbed me from the horrible peacefulness of.. well- drowning. Why was it peaceful? I hardly noticed I was running out of breath- I just felt like I was.. drifting.

          I forced my eyes open upon hearing a loud splash of something diving into the water above me. What was it? It looked like a blob of darkness- was it Asher?

          Wait- that frill-

          My eyes widened as who I knew to be Phantom had swam up to me, I could see pity in his eyes, then he grabbed my shoulders with his claws, and gently brought us back up to the surface. It was blurry- but I saw his tail moving like a snake, propelling us upward, and his hind legs kicking swiftly through the water. But there was something else that was just... so noticeable.

          Something on his back- two large blobs where his birthmark was- suddenly, we got to the surface, and the blobs expanded, and we shot out fo the water, Phantom still carrying me with his front claws. I gasped for air once we were out, panting heavily as we ascended into the air; I was still looking down at the water.

          Wait, how are we-

          I looked up, and what I saw shocked me.

          Phantom had wings! He had grown wings! I was so astonished I felt like I had stopped breathing again.

          How is this possible?!

          I watched in awe as he climbed through the air, eventually turning and dropping me gently on the mountain a little ways away from Aston and Asher, who were arguing, and didn't seem to notice us.

          I collapsed on the ground, still gasping for air. I dug my hands into the moist dirt softened up by the rain. After collecting myself I turned to see Phantom looking down at me with care and worry in his eyes.

          "Ph- Phantom-" I gasped, unable to get the words out. He purred for a second, but lifted his head to see Aston and Asher now looking over at us wide-eyed as their mouths hung wide open.

          Asher had run over in a second and fury rose in Aston's eyes. As Phantom flared his wings, I saw that his wing metacarpals were the same shade of green as his frill. "Phantom we need to stop Aston, he controls the Ostobird!" I panted.

          By the time I stood up, Aston was already running off. I stood up to go after him, but I had no energy, and practically fell back down, but Phantom caught me.

          Alicia, I can't risk you getting hurt. I need to do this.

          He purred. I looked at him, and I was terrified- what if he dies? What if he gets hurt- what if Aston uses the imperum? It was stressful for me- but the look in his eyes seemed to reassure me that he could do it. I took a breath, and then spoke.

          "Just.. be careful.. please." I practically whispered. He nodded, and then took the the skies with one big jump.

          Something about him having wings just.. felt right. I felt like he was meant to defeat Aston himself, and I smiled to myself, still watching him flap away through the skies.

          I watched as he glided, and turned, swooping down towards Aston. He got near enough to him, and then reached out with his tail, wrapping it around the man like a boa constrictor. He then pulled himself up into the sky as Aston tried to squirm free.