chapter 22

POV: 3rd person
As the lights in the room got brighter, which indicated that the night was over, both hedgehogs were becoming more anxious. Sonic was on high alert and at times growling at nothing. The anxiety that Sonic was giving off wasn't doing any good to Shadow, who had been anxious throughout his stay here.

And the two hedgehogs had all reason to be anxious with what the commander was going to pull off. Sonic may not know what his plans were, but he could feel that wherever he had in mind was of no good.

Around the middle of the day, Sonic had moved from the hideout to the tower. That left Shadow to deal with their young on his own. Keeping him inside was a hard task on his own, but now he also had to keep an eye out for Sonic who was no longer in his reach so he could keep him safe.

Sonic lowered himself and growled furiously at the metal door. It opened and agents came in. Shadow began to growl as well. He had his pup behind him, shielding him.

"We have eyes on them- wait where is the uke?!"

Sonic jumped from the tower on the group of agents. He managed to get one to the ground, knocking the air out of the man. Sonic headbutted with force into the back of another man's knee which get him to the ground as well.

Shadow cussed. He should be the one fighting. Sonic should be protecting their young. Then he realized that Sonic was a male. He may have been carrying their pup but he had the instincts of that of a male. Any male would defend their family with an offense.

If Shadow joined the fight, it would leave their young unprotected. He watched anxiously as Sonic was taking down the agents. He could only watch. If it weren't for his hands being trapped, he could have used a few chaos spears to take them down.

"Stand still!"

One of the men was pointing a teaser gun at Sonic. The blue hedgehog narrowed his eyes at him before lunging at him. He knew that the thing the man was holding meant harm. With his teeth, he got ahold of the gun. He was able to pull it out of the agent's grip and throw it aside.

Sonic moved closer to the man who backed up now that he no longer had something to take the hedgehog down with. Going bare hand with an animal that had claws, teeth, and spikes was not appealing. The man ended up running off like a coward.

The blue hedgehog huffed then narrowed his eyes at the two who were left, Richard and the newbie. He didn't notice the defeated two from earlier were getting up.

"I'm not going to be defeated by a freaking uke!" One of the men snarled and grabbed the handgun that he had on his belt. He aimed, readying to shoot.

Shadow saw this and acted without thinking. As he charged a chaos spear, the chaos energy shot back into his body. It was painful and he couldn't help but let out a scream of pain. His hand felt like it was burning and he got a shock send through his body.

Sonic perked up at hearing his mate scream. A loud bang was heard before silence fell over the room. Shadow's eyes widened and he felt his heart skip a beat.

"What the hell were you thinking, soldier?!" Richard snapped at his fellow agent. He stepped on his wrist, making the man let go of the gun. Sonic was behind him, looking just as shocked as Shadow. Richard had gotten in front of the blue hedgehog and taken the bullet. He was wearing a bulletproof vest that kept him from any harm.

"Argh! I-I.." The man was at a loss for words.

Sonic looked up at the head of the soldiers. He had saved him even though they were enemies, or in his view he was. Confused but grateful, he nuzzled Richard's leg.

Shadow sighed and facepalmed. Something he couldn't stand about Sonic, the way he viewed others, villains in particular. Just because they do one good deed doesn't mean they are good.

"Ah!" Sonic felt like he was being choked when a leash pole latched around his neck and pulled him back.

"I got him!" The newbie said proudly before almost losing grip on the leash pole when Sonic pulled on it. The other agent, who had just gotten up, got a leash around Sonic's foot and pulled on it. The blue hedgehog fell on his back and struggled against the leashes, but he could only move the limbs that weren't leashed.

"Let go of him!" Shadow snarled. He was now close to them. His pup was safe and well protected in his arms.

Richard waved the two agents off and they pulled Sonic with them, keeping him tightly restrained. The blue hedgehog winced while looking desperately at his mate.

"You know that going after him will make things worse." Richard stated as he stopped Shadow at seeing he was going to go after his mate. He received a snarl from the ebony hedgehog. "And he will suffer the consequences." He said referring to Sonic.

Shadow glared at him then went after Sonic. He wasn't going to let them take his mate away. As he got out of the habitat, his body went limp. "Wh-What..?" He said confused.

"I can't believe it actually worked." Katrin was standing next to the doorway, looking at the limp hedgehog with disbelief.

"What did you do?" Richard asked, coming over to stand next to her. Whatever she had done, it had made his job easier. Now he didn't have to chase the ebony hedgehog.

"Oh, I was just looking through my dad's notes and found something interesting." Katrin grinned. "Project Shadow has a weak spot and if you do it just correctly, he will go limp and eventually fall unconscious."

"Care to tell me that weak spot?" Richard asked, watching as the hedgehog lost consciousness.

"No." She said straightforward. "Awe! Look at you. Aren't you a cutie?" Katrin spoke childishly as she picked up the young and held him close to her face. "Yes, you are. Yes, you- ow!" She had ignored the pup's growling and got bitten in the nose. "Bad young."

Richard rolled his eyes and crouched down to pick up the unconscious lifeform. "Let's get them to the Commander's office, as instructed."