chapter 9

POV: 3rd person
Now that Shadow had his clothes back on, except for the torn glove which Sonic could have to play with, he had the chance to look around the habitat. There wasn't much, but everything it needed: a wooden box to hide in, a platform high on a pole to have the higher ground, a carpet to lie on, and a puddle of water to drink from and bathe in. The food was probably given through the hatch, Shadow thought.

He was pulled out of his thought when the blue uke invaded his personal space. Sonic was rubbing his head against the other hedgehog's chest fur. He wanted nothing but the other's attention and affection. Shadow looked at him then petted his quills. He wasn't feeling like acting as if he was an animal, not that he would ever feel like it.

Sonic was confused by what the seme was doing but shrugged it off and just enjoyed it. Shadow soon found the blue one lying across his lap. He continued to pet him while looking around, as if he was awaiting upcoming danger.

When Sonic had fallen asleep due to the ebony one's soothing pets, Shadow moved him off him. He didn't like physical contact nor did he like Sonic.

They had to get out of there. Shadow had a plan in mind but he wasn't sure if it was going to work. He looked around the room for any cameras. He knew there was one since he had been able to look in this habitat with the tablet he was given. He spotted it and destroyed it with a chaos spear. Now they had to move fast before someone would come to check it out.

The blast had woken up Sonic who was now on high alert. Shadow moved over to him and took his clothes off again. He put his socks and glove on Sonic who tried to shake them off. Sonic couldn't run as fast as he normally could since it would burn his feet. Shadow hoped that the socks would help.

The ebony hedgehog carried the uke to the hatch. Now that he was no longer wearing gloves, he could use his claws. He dug his nails in the metal and when he had a good grip, he lifted the hatch. It had no lock, just as he had thought. It only had one handle, but it was on the outside.

Shadow went through first and kept it up for Sonic. The blue hedgehog had no idea what he was going on and was looking at his mate in confusion. Nonetheless, he followed his mate. Shadow had no idea where to go to get to exist, so he began walking in a random direction. He looked over his shoulder and saw that Sonic was right on his heels. He seemed to be keeping up fine with Shadow while walking on all four.

They were about to turn around a corner at a crossing when Shadow's ears perked up at hearing something coming their way. He pressed himself up against the wall and pushed Sonic against it as well. Two guards passed by, pulling a cart forward. On it lay a Mobian, a bat to be precise. His lower abdomen was covered in blood and his open eyes showed no sign of life. The guards didn't seem to notice the two hedgehogs and kept on walking.

Shadow's horrified eyes didn't leave the bat's body. He guessed it was an uke who hadn't survived birth. He felt as if he had been kicked in the gut by reality. He looked back at Sonic who looked just as horrified as he did.

The same could happen to Sonic. Shadow had no idea if Sonic was able to give birth to an egg and even if he was, if it would be on time. If the pregnancy of a hedgehog lasted longer than that of Black Arms, the egg would hatch inside of Sonic. Unlike other species, the pup would have its senses fully working and full body movement. It would look for a way out, which would probably be tearing through the womb and out of Sonic's stomach. Just like you see in the movies.

"Ssh it's okay." Shadow cupped the cheeks of the distressed hedgehog and pressed his forehead against his. "Let's get you out of here. Stay close to me, okay?" He spoke to the other even though he knew Sonic didn't understand him.

"They have escaped! Get them!"