❝ CHAPTER 14 ❞

▌Chapter 14 ─ Police Chase ▌

Chapter 14 ─ Police Chase

━━━━━ IRIS SAT IN the back of Marta's car with Fred sitting next to her. They had made it to the medical examiner's office and it wasn't looking too good.

"Holy shit." Marta breathed out, as she stopped her car. They all leaned down trying to not be seen. "This is insane. I mean, who would blow up a whole real building just to blackmail me?"

"Marta, this means the blackmailer has the only paper copy of the thing that can prove your guilt. You didn't get any other instructions? No phone call? No email? Nothing?" Ransom asked.

"No. Well, I haven't checked my email." Marta proceeded to pull her phone out and pull her phone out and check for an email. "There is one."

"Yeah, that's it. '1209, Columbus Road. 10 a.m.' You know what this means, right? If you destroy that copy, you're totally in the clear."

"Oh, no." Iris looked up to see Benoit walking towards them.

"Marta, did you hear me?"

"Yeah."

Marta stood up and moved the car forward, turning around in a circle and heading back the way they came. Eventually they made it onto the highway and she drove as fast as she could.

"Okay, baby driver." Ransom called out, as he briefly looked behind them.

"Oh, god. You regret helping me yet?" Marta asked him and Fred.

"I regret not taking the Beemer." Sirens could be heard behind them, Iris turned back to see the police following behind them and quickly catching up.

"Oh, shit."

Iris watched Marta pick up her phone and eventually put it back down. Seconds later her phone started to ring. She pulled it and looked to see Benoit's contact pop up. However she pressed the power button choosing not to answer the phone. They were of course catching up to them by the second.

"Go. Go! Go! Are you flooring it?"

"I am literally flooring it!"

"Uh, I think I'm gonna be sick."

They eventually caught up to them, Marta picked up her phone to look at it. Then they honked at her causing them to all look over and see Benoit hanging out of the car, pointing to his phone.

"This is going well." Ransom said.

"You think?" Fred asked, with sarcasm dripping from his tongue.

"I'm pulling over. I'm..."

"If you miss your chance to get this tox report, it's all over."

"Oh, my God." Marta pressed on the break stopping the car, causing them to drive past Marta's car.