❝ CHAPTER 3 ❞

▌Chapter 3 ─ Not Again ▌

Chapter 3 ─ Not Again

      ━━━━━ IRIS HAD MOVED passed the sickness, she was still sitting with Marta. For whatever reason she still hasn't figured out why she hadn't been called in yet. She wondered if Fred had even showed up to the house, or if her brother had showed up.

Right now all she knew is that she didn't want to see Fred, not after what had happened. Iris picked up her head looking over at Marta as she picked herself up from the seat and walked over to the window staying low to the ground.

"Marta." Iris called out, watching Marta looking back at her.

"Come over here." Marta spoke, waving her hand.

Iris exhaled, picking herself up from the chair, she walked over to Marta lowering herself to the ground. She then proceeded to follow behind her until she came to a stop against the window. Marta placed her ear close to the window.

Iris watched her waiting for something to happen. Both Marta and Iris gasped upon seeing the eye of someone they didn't know. Marta looked back at Iris, holding out her hand at which Iris accepted. The two walked over to the door, as the older man opened the door for the two of them.

"Harlan Thrombey's nurse." He said, looking at Marta. "Marta..." He paused, unsure of her last name.

"Cabrera." She said, looking at him.

"Marta Cabrera." He repeated after getting her name. He then looked over at Iris, while examining the way the two interacted with each other. "And Harlan's granddaughter, Iris Drysdale."

Iris nodded her head briefly looking down at her hand that was still connected to Marta's. She felt happy and complete when she was around Marta and she wasn't sure if Marta felt the same thing.

"Please." Benoit said, pulling Iris out of her thoughts. "Miss Cabrera, Miss Drysdale you can just wait inside and we'll be with in-"

"Miss Cabrera. I've been doin' a little pokin'. You were hired on a part-time basis as a registered nurse, yes?" Benoit questioned her. Marta briefly looked at Iris who gave her a soft smile.

"Uh, yes. I don't work for a VNA. Harlan and Iris hired me directly." Marta said, giving Iris another look.

"Take a seat, please." Benoit said, looking between Marta and Iris.

The two disconnected their hands, turning away from Benoit walking over to the chair and sitting down next to each other. Iris still had no idea why she was here and why she hadn't been questioned yet. Benoit sat down in the chair across from them.

"And you're paid a flat rate for how many hours a week?" Benoit asked her. Iris watched him closely, waiting for something to happen to explain why she was here.

"Well, I started at 15, and then he... He needed more help." Marta informed Benoit.

"Medical help?" He proceeded to question trying to get the answer he needed.